Camera for Candids

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charred

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking to upgrade my GoPro3 to something more serious. I am looking for something to take pictures of my wife, kids, turtles, rays, and if chance ever shines on us, dolphins, etc. In essence, I want a camera with me while I am diving to capture an epic event. I won't be taking macros and likely won't add any lights for now.

I'm not against an upgrade GoPro and that has advantages of being small. But you cannot really take photos of anything unless you are pretty close.

What compacts like the TG-5, Canon G7X, Panny LX-10 can shoot wide out of the box without adding lenses?

So far I'm not impressed with non-macros from the TG-5 and I see cautions in reviews about wide angle. Where do I want to if I have ruled out a GoPro and TG-5?

Point me in the right direction?

I have a G7Xii, and I've used both the Fantasea and Ikelite housing.

The Fantasea was a nice cheaper option for me and worked like a charm, until my stupidity cracked it...

This album was done completely with just the fantasea case, and I was quite happy with the results:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/divealot/albums/72157686445133644

Since then I've gotten a strobe, but I also like taking pictures of the small stuff mostly.

Obviously adding a wide-angle will make a massive difference, but for now I guess you can browse through other people's pics and try get an idea of what would be wide enough out of the box...

Sony RX100 ... the latest model “V” probably has what u want, but is expensive. Earlier models are available. Lots of reviews online comparing features.

I am looking to upgrade my GoPro3 to something more serious. I am looking for something to take pictures of my wife, kids, turtles, rays, and if chance ever shines on us, dolphins, etc. In essence, I want a camera with me while I am diving to capture an epic event. I won't be taking macros and likely won't add any lights for now.

I'm not against an upgrade GoPro and that has advantages of being small. But you cannot really take photos of anything unless you are pretty close.

What compacts like the TG-5, Canon G7X, Panny LX-10 can shoot wide out of the box without adding lenses?

So far I'm not impressed with non-macros from the TG-5 and I see cautions in reviews about wide angle. Where do I want to if I have ruled out a GoPro and TG-5?

How deep do you dive? This answer most likely will determine your price point? How much size hassle do you want?

The title says "candid photos" which I interpret to mean "happy snaps" - I claim you will be happy if a few of your shots for the whole trip turn out to be "great-ish". So a Point & Shoot, not a DSLR or high end compact required.

If you dive shallow, then Canon, Olympus and Nikon all make water proof happy snap cameras. Small and compact, only automatic modes, no housing needed if you stay above 50 feet. Lowest price point, least hassle. Totally happy snap capable at a low price point.

Next up would be old obsolete used tiny Canon-ish-like point and shoot in a slim housing. I stuff a used housed Canon Sd780 into my BCD pocket at the start of each dive week as an emergency backup camera. I have used it once (when I screwed up my main camera battery swap). The camera is tiny. The housing is tiny and rated deaper than I go. It's abilities are limited since it is totally automatic. It is capable of taking great happy snaps...

If you have a modern smartphone with a good camera, consider housing it - there are a number of options at various price points. Otherwise, Olympus TG-5 is a good option if you don't intend to take it deeper than 18m, and Canon G7X series/Sony RX100 series in a housing if you need deeper than 18m capability., but this, by necessity, will be considerably more bulky than a phone housing or a bare waterproof camera.

I have a G7Xii, and I've used both the Fantasea and Ikelite housing.

The Fantasea was a nice cheaper option for me and worked like a charm, until my stupidity cracked it...

This album was done completely with just the fantasea case, and I was quite happy with the results:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/divealot/albums/72157686445133644

Since then I've gotten a strobe, but I also like taking pictures of the small stuff mostly.

Obviously adding a wide-angle will make a massive difference, but for now I guess you can browse through other people's pics and try get an idea of what would be wide enough out of the box...

Those are all just with the Fantasea case? These are the kinds of photos I am looking to take. It looks like were you using external lighting of some kind. Yes?

Let me add that I am OK with a camera in a housing. It does not need to be a waterproof compact.

Those are all just with the Fantasea case? These are the kinds of photos I am looking to take. It looks like were you using external lighting of some kind. Yes?

Let me add that I am OK with a camera in a housing. It does not need to be a waterproof compact.

In that album, it was just the Fantasea housing with the internal flash (you get a nice diffuser with the housing) :)

I bought a Sealife Micro 2.0. I'm glad with it. It takes good photos underwater and also on land.
It has a wide angle built in. Also a software red filter.
The biggest advantage is that it's permanently sealed. No case, no o-ring, no silicone grease, no fogging inside, no batteries, no memory change, no flood.
Compact and robust.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom