camera flashes hazardous to fishes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beivied

Registered
Reaction score
saw on another forum that camera flashes blind and scare fishes, and may even lead to deaths, as they are unable to run away from predators due to the blinding. true? :confused: ;-0

I have read and heard it depends on the species. For instance, in the Pacific Northwest we have the Ratfish which has specially adapted eyes for dark deep places. They frequent recreational dive depths and can be blinded for life if you shine your dive light directly into their eyes. Also, octopus and other cephalopods are very light sensitive and can be blinded as well as put into traumatic shock because of intense exposer to light sources. Pay attention to the species of fish you are shooting.

hmm, ok :wacko: noted , thanks.

any other species to avoid using flash on them?

I'm not sure that fish will actually be blinded as in losing their sight permanently...I've never heard that before... but I do know that nocturnal species found on night dives have a harder time with bright dive lights and camera strobes than the daytime fish do.

It's not uncommon to have a preditor, such as a Grouper, following you and as you light up a Squirrelfish to take a photo, the Grouper dashes in and has lunch! I've seen that happen more than once.

I dive in the northwest, and it's a regular occurence at night to hit a fish with your light and have a harbor seal swoop in and eat it.

Re: ratfish (I hate that name for such a beautiful fish - call them what they are: chimera). I guess it is possible that they are blinded, but I also find that they are drawn to my light. It's not uncommon on night dives for me to see large numbers of chimera, and have even had them bump my light head.

David Doubilet, perhaps the most famous underwater photographer in the world, shoots many pictures using HMI lights, which are unbelievably intense (these are the same lights that movie crews use).

Having said as much, I dive with a 10w HID head and while it's nowhere near as bright as HMI lights, it's pretty intense, and I try really hard to keep the beam out of all of the critters eyes....

-d

thats something informative, thanks...

hmmm... anyone read any article on things like that? i really dont hope to become a marine life killer by wanting to snap down their images.

Hello,

I do know for a fact that with marine mammals it's wrong on so many levels to use a flash on them. It's a violation of the marine mammal protection act as well, under the harassment group. As for fish, your average run of the mill fish durring daytime wouldn't be as bothered as others, say night time or deep.

I am not aware of strobes making something perm blind but if you ever had one flash in your eyes you would see white for a good minute or 3. I am somewhat of an anti-strobe advocate and tend not to use one unless I have to.

Ed

While I was on a noctural animal safari in Kangaroo Island, Australia, we were told we couldn't take flash pictures of the Adelaide penguins because it would blind them and the seals would eat them up. I only have memories of those cute things waddling up to their nests after a long day of fishing.

beep

hmm... from what i gather here, is it reasonable to say that it is relatively ok to use strobe during day dive but during night dives to avoid taking photos of fishes? starfishes and nudibranches or already slow moving or non moving marine life should be ok? this is on the basis that flashes only blind fishes and cause vulnerability to predators, and not causing permanent blindness.

Back
Top Bottom