Cam band weight pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dirty-Dog

Frequently Censored
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm switching from a SeaQuest Balance to a BP/W. One thing I liked about the Balance was the weight pockets up by the shoulder - made trim easier since I tend to have heavy feet. I know I can thread weights through the cam bands, just like onto a weight belt, but is there any good reason why a weight pocket (such as these, for example) cannot or should not be threaded onto the cam band?

I'm switching from a SeaQuest Balance to a BP/W. One thing I liked about the Balance was the weight pockets up by the shoulder - made trim easier since I tend to have heavy feet. I know I can thread weights through the cam bands, just like onto a weight belt, but is there any good reason why a weight pocket (such as these, for example) cannot or should not be threaded onto the cam band?

If you can't reach 'em... why bother with "ditchable" pockets on the cam bands?

Plus... if you need more than 4lbs or so per pocket on the cam bands you aren't really "trimming" with that weight. At that point consider a heavier plate and/or weighted STA.

You can also just position the BP/W lower on the tank to move some of the ballast forward. For me I tend to be foot light so I have my BP/W as high up as I can.

If you get ditchable pockets for the cam straps ( I did cause that's what was available ) then you can flip them over and "bury" the flaps to avoid accidental releases. Otherwise a heavier plate and/or STA should help move that CG forward.

If you can't reach 'em... why bother with "ditchable" pockets on the cam bands?

Plus... if you need more than 4lbs or so per pocket on the cam bands you aren't really "trimming" with that weight. At that point consider a heavier plate and/or weighted STA.

I'm using a 5.5lb SS plate. I have those pockets already. In fresh water (the only dive I've had the chance to make in this gear) I carried 8lbs with a 3/2 wet suit and was very heavy. I put 4lbs on the bottom and still felt a little heavy. We're leaving for Oahu Tuesday, so ordering new stuff isn't really a viable option. Off Oahu, I'll likely be diving a skin, so if I need to add any weight at all, it'll only be a 2-3lb weight in each pocket. Mostly I just want to make sure that putting them on the cam band rather than the waist belt won't lead to any problems.

When I got my BP/W last year, diving 3/2mil in fresh water, I did a night in the pool to establish weighting and estimated that I need 8lbs. Maybe I did... maybe it was cause it was a new suit. Maybe I just hadn't been diving in a long time and didn't have the feel for it yet. Because in a month or so the 8lbs were shed and I was diving nothing but an AL80 and a SS backplate with STA for ballast. I suddenly didn't even need these pockets anymore. That is until winter came.

But I've dove 8lbs on cam straps with the flaps buried. I tend to get floaty feet so I put them on the bottom strap. I imagine you'd put yours on the top strap. I don't see any problems for you.

I agree with weighted STA, it eliminates the need for the cam band pockets. I have one and don't have any issues keeping trim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First, congrats for your choice to replace your BCD with a BP/wing! Second, you just might be surprised how your trim problem might just solve itself. Trim pockets are just that. Where you place them (top or bottom tank strap) depends on where you need to ballast to affect proper trim. There's no way to accurately predict where that will be as it is affected by body composition, exposure protection, tank type etc. Dive it once, refine, dive it again, and refine more. Good luck with your new and improved equipment configuration!

I agree with chrpai, just move your BP/W lower on the tank and that should solve most of the issues. There should be no issue if you would rather use weights on cam straps either. Have fun diving on your trip!

Good for waist strap. Not so good for cam band, too big. For cam band, get the cheap XSscuba weight pockets, which hold maybe 3 lbs. I use 4 of these on cam bands, mounted upside down so can at least release 2 of the weights in emergency. Never had to do it though in hundreds of dives, and never had pocket accidentally open. Even then, loss potential only 2 lbs per pocket. Advantage of pockets is it's much easier to load/change as opposed to putting weights on cam band.

I also have a pair of larger OMS pockets on harness belt. No auto-drop, just pull on velcro flap, grab weight & remove. I leave empty of weights if using 3mil suit.

I avoid weight belts if at all possible, or at most 4 pounds or so.

If you want pockets get the X-S Scuba 5 pounders work well. We have 2 on the top band of all our rigs. We dive a myriad of configurations so they get varied use.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom