Calypso Dive Charters, Riviera Beach - Shark Dive July, 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never encountered a bull, silky or dusky while diving.
I certainly have. WPB has plenty of them, and they are pretty unwelcome when I spear. I've also seen while just cruising the reefs having fun. I've also seen a number of silkies, but not in Florida. I'm not sure I've ever seen a dusky. I've also encountered reefies, spinners, hammerheads, lemons, whales and one Great White in Florida. I've been on shark feeding dives in the Caribbean and in Fiji, and I don't think these opportunistic ambush predators associate all divers with food. UM did a very limited study that showed that feeding doesn't seem to affect them in that way. However, if you want to see sharks and lots of them without feeding them, go to the Socorros. You won't be disappointed.

For the record, I really don't enjoy shark feeding dives. The sharks just don't seem natural.

Unique and memorable experience diving with Bull, Dusky and Silky sharks. I have done several shark dives but have never had the opportunity to dive with bull sharks. Our Shark Handler Lauren (Marine Biologist and shark conservationist) showed a great amount of respect and affection for the sharks. Her enthusiasm and excitement regarding sharks energizes you!

Calypso only takes six divers maximum per trip. This makes for a very intimate and safe experience. Diving was conducted from a 33 foot pilot house boat.

Convenient location if you are in Florida. Good opportunity to pair with a Blue Heron Bridge dive if the tide timing works out!

View attachment 602071
View attachment 602072
View attachment 602073

Nice shots! Right now it's the "summer variety pack" out on the ledge and you never quite know what you're going to get. I was out on a freedive trip with Shark Addicts two weekends ago and got mostly silkys with a couple sandbars and a few wallflower bulls and duskys ... oh yeah, and a ~8 ft blue marlin that turned up for a quick pass right as I was getting in and only let me take a few distant "proof of life" shots:

_7260122.JPG

As far as the species you encountered, silkys are typically more of an open-ocean type; we typically only get them coming in late spring through the summer. Duskys are still federally protected; I feel like they're more commonly sighted than they were just 2-3 years ago which is encouraging. Bulls seem to be present in varying numbers year-round.

Nice shots! Right now it's the "summer variety pack" out on the ledge and you never quite know what you're going to get. I was out on a freedive trip with Shark Addicts two weekends ago and got mostly silkys with a couple sandbars and a few wallflower bulls and duskys ... oh yeah, and a ~8 ft blue marlin that turned up for a quick pass right as I was getting in and only let me take a few distant "proof of life" shots:

View attachment 603152

As far as the species you encountered, silkys are typically more of an open-ocean type; we typically only get them coming in late spring through the summer. Duskys are still federally protected; I feel like they're more commonly sighted than they were just 2-3 years ago which is encouraging. Bulls seem to be present in varying numbers year-round.

The Marlin encounter is phenomenal! Great that you were composed enough to snap the "proof of life" shot.

The Marlin encounter is phenomenal! Great that you were composed enough to snap the "proof of life" shot.

It was more like I heard the feeder call "Marlin!" before I jumped in, saw it head-on near the crate as I was "burping" my wet lens, and then ducked down to get three shots as it swam away. First marlin and second billfish (after a sailfish) I've seen, both on the ledge off Jupiter.

After that it was all sharks. The few bulls and duskys (the one bull I saw was pretty small, maybe 5 ft) did not want to get close and I didn't get any shots. The few sandbars were a bit bolder, but the silkys really dominated and had little sense of personal space. I had to look carefully before diving down to make sure I had an opening, and generally as soon as I did a few would come to check me out.

We had two folks from the American Shark Conservancy nonprofit aboard to do laser measurements, counts, and behavioral observations; I was impressed they were able to keep track in the swirl.

_7260171.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom