Calvert Cliffs MD fossil dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I grew up in Dundalk, but picked up scuba after moving away from MD... been looking for a reason to haul my gear back east, wondering if there was anything worth doing back home. I suppose I could go google it, or you could tell me more about this fossil dive... :wink: some quarry or lake I presume?

this thread is interesting... hahaha

Well, I was hoping to find information from those that have done it. I know people find shark teeth on the banks of Calvert Cliffs. Curious what the viz may be like and other conditions

I dive in the SE US rivers,via of 6 to 18 inches is common and perfectly fine for fossilling.
Offshore, I recently dove in 100' vis and found 2 4inch teeth between sticking lionfish.
Either way is fine for me,shallow and dirty or deeper and clear.
In any case once you start fanning it gets dirtier .

Bumping this. Has anyone tried diving off this beach (or other local fossil bearing beaches) recently? I get that the visibility is going to suck, as that’s pretty much a given in the area. Mainly curious how far off the beach you have to go to make it a dive vs. an expensive snorkeling trip. Thanks.

Bumping this. Has anyone tried diving off this beach (or other local fossil bearing beaches) recently? I get that the visibility is going to suck, as that’s pretty much a given in the area. Mainly curious how far off the beach you have to go to make it a dive vs. an expensive snorkeling trip. Thanks.

I have been shark teeth hunting at Calvert Cliffs several times. It would be a pain in the rear to get your dive gear to the water there and I cannot see much advantage to it. The water is pretty shallow and the best stuff that we have found was closer to the cliff. Bayfront Park would probably be a better place to shore dive, but I think that it may be closed to non-town residents right now.

I have been shark teeth hunting at Calvert Cliffs several times. It would be a pain in the rear to get your dive gear to the water there and I cannot see much advantage to it. The water is pretty shallow and the best stuff that we have found was closer to the cliff. Bayfront Park would probably be a better place to shore dive, but I think that it may be closed to non-town residents right now.

I think you’re right on that. Really the only place I can think of a doable shore-entry that might be open at the moment would be from Matoaka Cabins (private beach), but like you said...as steep as the trail to the water is there, it wouldn’t be fun getting gear down to the water.

I really didn’t find a lot of teeth at Calvert the couple of times I combed the beach. I think that place is mainly interesting from a shell collecting standpoint, but like you said...close to the cliff is where I found the most intact and interesting stuff.

The water is very shallow (~ 2-3’) even well away from the cliff. That and it seems to be a muck, rather than a clay (fossil bearing) bottom, so It may be a waste of time time even if I could find a depth of 5’ or so. I did see a number of people well away from the cliff searching for stuff, so maybe they knew something that I don’t.

Chesapeake Beach, MD is closed down to non-town residents too. I found a LOT of small teeth on the beach there. I’m guessing there are similar shutdowns for the other public beaches in Maryland at the moment.

Virginia beaches are probably my only local or local-ish options at the moment. Thank you.:cheers:

What about beaches on other side of bay (Viriginia side - beaches at Westmoreland park?) - has anyone ever dived there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom