Callout

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boater Dan

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The team was called yesterday to a report of a man missing off his boat on the Ohio River near Wierton WV. It was a 70 mile trip to arrive. The scenario was (on arrival) this man and his friend had left the bar at the marina at 3:00 am. The comment was made that he was **** faced and could barely walk let alone swim. They went to his boat and his friend went to sleep. In the morning, he reports that his friend is missing. His wallet and keys are on the boat, car in the marina parking lot. Until we were notified, we didn't arrive on scene until about 5:30 pm. We responded with the local dog search team. 3 of the dogs got a "soft" hit on the water below the marina. We marked the spot and worked a diver around the area (personal opinion and experience felt he probably would not wind up in this area) and found nothing. We were supposed to be in about 6 to 8' of water and we were going to dive un-tethered. Turned out to be more like 26', so I did back-up and ran the tether. We also worked a diver behind the boat along the main run. Since no one saw anything, hard to say.

Now, after we came back to shore and were breaking down (8:30 pm and no daylight), the story started to change. We heard there may have been a third individual involved. Those in law enforcement can understand what generally happens when the story starts changing. Since the story is changing and there is no witnessed drowning, there were no plans made to return today.

The good news, no injuries or problems on our team.

Dan

The local fire department conducted dragging operations on Sunday and did not locate the victim in this manner. During the operation, the body floated to the surface on its own, very close to where the search dogs had the soft hit the day before. If I understand the time frame correctly, this would put the body in the water for approximately 36 hours. In all incidents where I have been involved, it has basically taken 3 to 5 days for the body to bloat sufficiently to float.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced surface recovery of drowning vicitims in a 36 hour timeframe? The water temp was 78 degrees.

Dan

Boater Dan:
The local fire department conducted dragging operations on Sunday and did not locate the victim in this manner. During the operation, the body floated to the surface on its own, very close to where the search dogs had the soft hit the day before. If I understand the time frame correctly, this would put the body in the water for approximately 36 hours. In all incidents where I have been involved, it has basically taken 3 to 5 days for the body to bloat sufficiently to float.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced surface recovery of drowning vicitims in a 36 hour timeframe? The water temp was 78 degrees.

Dan
Hi Dan;

In that warm of water a body should float quickly and 36 hours would not be out of line at all.

In my area even if surface temps exceed the mid 80's at 40' it is still cold enough to keep everyone.

Gary D.

Intresting (in a morbid kind of way). I do not think I could do your job........I admire your drive as well as your ability to "stuff down" the reality's of every day life.

I was in the military as an Army MP. While I have seen/experienced some things that nobody should see, I do not profess to have the strength to do your job on a daily basis. I was not exposed to the horrors and "errors in judgement" that you face almost daily. Those in the military, pretty much accept their life. Yeah, you get some E3 who just got back from a 90 day deployment and found out his wife was "watering the garden" with his neighbor. You respond to find him holding the guys life-literally in his hands...ya try to have some compassion, while being forced to "do your job".

But to KNOW that on every callout-yer goin in the water to "recover" a body? Nope..........not me. I have been the person to notify the parents that their child has passed on, despite our best efforts.....THAT stays with me to this day. Another story,another thread.

I admire the strength of all our rescue/recovery people on this board. Not only to do their job but, to be able to deal with it in a manner that allows them to carry on with some semblence of a normal life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom