Calling Dr. Rich

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kharon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I think shore diving Bonaire has gotten too sterenuous for me to make it worth the trip.I'm thinking that a direct flight to Ft. Lauderdale, renting a car, and driving to Key Largo to boat dive mornings and be a tourist afternoons might be good.

I know you have much experience with diving Key largo and with dive operations there as well as accommodations in that area. Tips please - especially when to go and times to avoid.

My latest trip to Bonaire was a disaster because I had no idea (my bad) how cold the water would be and how much wind would prevent diving and cause terrible visibility.

I'm a bit surprised. Bonaire water was cold?

I think shore diving Bonaire has gotten too sterenuous for me to make it worth the trip.I'm thinking that a direct flight to Ft. Lauderdale, renting a car, and driving to Key Largo to boat dive mornings and be a tourist afternoons might be good.

I know you have much experience with diving Key largo and with dive operations there as well as accommodations in that area. Tips please - especially when to go and times to avoid.

My latest trip to Bonaire was a disaster because I had no idea (my bad) how cold the water would be and how much wind would prevent diving and cause terrible visibility.

Sounds like you ran into bad weather. I am sorry to hear that but Bonaire is in the southern Caribbean and water is usually warmer and calmer than the Atlantic waters around Florida, but I am sure the @drrich2 and others will be able to give you some good, practical advice about Florida diving.

We love Bonaire and it was our favorite dive destination for a long time, but as we've gotten older and developed some medical issues, it's just gotten harder and not as much fun.

You've heard me say this before but we really enjoy the easy, valet diving and the all-inclusive "turnkey" dive vacations at the Clearly Cayman resorts on Cayman Brac and Little Cayman.

They have become our new favorite destination. As time goes on, that may change also, but for right now they are good for us.

I have been to the Florida Keys numerous times and have a lot of great tips about where to dive and where to stay and I'll bet there are dozens if not hundreds of regular posters on this board who know as much as or even more than I do about the Florida Keys but I will refrain from posting and assume they will as well since you clearly stated you are looking for advice from only one particular poster who you could probably contact via the messaging system on this site.

Thanks for the kind words. Only did Key Largo once, Sept. 2013, 20 dives (2 2-tank boat trips/day) with Rainbow Reef Dive Center over 5 days, and loved it. It was my first really long-form trip report. Averaged cost/dive was a good value, and with me, wife, kiddo and mother-in-law packed into a single hotel room, total trip cost was really good. RRDC has moved a bit since then (though I heard they hadn't gone for); then they were at the end of our hotel parking lot, so I could be gone diving without needing a vehicle while the family roamed. The Keys are not a shore diving destination, but sounds like you're looking for boat diving anyway.

Shallow reef diving over a horizontal 'floor,' rather than wall diving, pretty nice reef growth, pleasantly fishy with more fairly big stuff than I recall from Bonaire, and the guide was included free (and when the boat had plenty of people, I recall 2 guides, each leading a separate group). Morning dives had an option for deep trips (the wrecks like Spiegel Grove and the Duane, which I enjoyed though they were shorter dives). Reef diving features viz. around 50 feet; not up there with Bonaire, Cozumel or the Caymans, but good enough. If you do the deep wrecks, take gloves, because the boats attached to permanent mooring lines with things growing on them (I assumed barnacles, but someone suggested later they may've been 'razor clams' - either way, you want gloves).

RRDC had a strong reputation, and was very well-known - I understand they train a lot of recreational diving professionals. Their boats were fairly big, and while I didn't consider them 'cattle boats,' they weren't 6-packs. But it's been several years and I don't know what services they may have added. I booked a dive package + hotel through them; they can customize a package for you.

A number of recommendations over the years were made for an op. called Quiescence Diving Services aiming for those looking for a 6-pack boat, albeit without a 'free' guide included.

From this forum, the upper Keys op. I think has the most overwhelmingly consistently strong positive reviews is Conch Republic Divers (though I didn't read of them offering a free guide) - they're a little further south, in Tavernier. They are one of the few op.s I read about where almost every report about them is gold (the Peace boat in California the Captain Sl8er's boat out of Jupiter, FL were like that when I researched those areas).

I'd happily book with Rainbow Reef based on good experience, or Conch Republic based on powerful reputation, for what I'd want to do (a lot of guided diving crammed into a few days). Planning the RRDC trip and the logistics once there was easy, and I like easy!

If I didn't need a guide, wanted a smaller boat so I'd have more say in where we went, I'd at least start by checking the latest on Quiescence.

I didn't research any of the op.s about solo diving. I've heard sea conditions and water temp.s fluctuate seasonally much more so than Bonaire, but I don't know all the details. It is possible to get 'blown out' some days.

Sorry I couldn't help more from 1st hand experience. I'd love to go back, but so many diverse options keep calling! As Caruso mentioned, there are a lot of folks with a lot more experience than I've got, so hopefully they will chime in. Helps make threads better for other people who run across them doing future trips.

Richard.

What kind of diving do you want to do? Do you want a guide? Wrecks? Big boy rules? I ask because each company has a style they cater to.

I bounce between N. Cali and Key Largo.. I've been blown out of Key Largo for a week many times but that happens everywhere. I would avoid the winter (we are past that) as allot of boats don't run because not enough divers even if conditions are great.

If it blown out I hit the gym, study, nap, detail gear, cook and day drink Sharky's with the other divers, burned out smugglers, bookies and locals.

RRDC had a strong reputation, and was very well-known - I understand they train a lot of recreational diving professionals. Their boats were fairly big, and while I didn't consider them 'cattle boats,' they weren't 6-packs. But it's been several years and I don't know what services they may have added.

I've dived with Rainbow Reef. Their large boats which hold 30 or more divers, which quite often group near each other on a dive site are the definition of cattle boats. With their recent acquisition of Ocean Divers and about a half dozen more boats they are by far the biggest operation in the Florida Keys and move a lot of divers to and from the reefs.

I have been to the Florida Keys numerous times and have a lot of great tips about where to dive and where to stay and I'll bet there are dozens if not hundreds of regular posters on this board who know as much as or even more than I do about the Florida Keys but I will refrain from posting and assume they will as well since you clearly stated you are looking for advice from only one particular poster who you could probably contact via the messaging system on this site.

Sorry if I offended. I have only seen derich2's posts. about Largo and recalled that he had some extensive reviews. I simply didn't recall any other names. I'm always happy to hear from people with information. Didn't mean to exclude.

In that case, having dived in Florida from Key West through West Palm beach, I'll second Dr. Rich's comments about Conch Republic Divers, they're a great little operation and they'll get you to the best places. Since they're about 15 minutes south of Key Largo they're in a better position to get to the 4 big wrecks in the upper Keys if that's what you're looking to do. Rainbow Reef is the other end of the size scale as I said, there will be people and boats all over the place, not that it's a bad thing, more a matter of your personal taste. Rainbow Reef has an extensive website with an online calendar showing where all the boats are headed, Conch Divers is simply a call to Brenda who is usually standing by in the office ready to help you plan your trip.

Having done the Keys through West Palm I'll add that I prefer West Palm diving and we're headed there in 3 weeks to drift dive on wrecks. We fly into Fort Lauderdale and make the 45 minute drive north. There are no coral reefs north of Fort Lauderdale, more like rock piles and ledges with corals growing on them but my experience has been a lot more fish, a lot more bigger stuff like sharks and goliath groupers and of course the wrecks, you can see as many as 4 in one single drift dive.

Weather can always be a factor everywhere offshore, I've lost dives on several trips to Florida. It's the nature of the sport, especially in the Keys during winter, so be prepared with alternate activities. I always heavily book my diving knowing I'll probably lose some dives along the way and the worst that can happen is I do a lot of diving!

Sounds like you ran into bad weather. I am sorry to hear that but Bonaire is in the southern Caribbean and water is usually warmer and calmer than the Atlantic waters around Florida, but I am sure the @drrich2 and others will be able to give you some good, practical advice about Florida diving.

Yep, seriously bad this time. I've always gone October through the first week of January. This trip got delayed due to an emergency cardiac cath & stent. This trip was not fun for a lot more reason than the diving. This trip confirmed for me that Murphy was an optomist. On top of all the things that went wrong I ended up with an ear problem and caught something on the flight back. Headed to my doctor today for treatment.

We love Bonaire and it was our favorite dive destination for a long time, but as we've gotten older and developed some medical issues, it's just gotten harder and not as much fun.

All my previous trips were wonderful diving. This time the magic was not there. Between the really bad visability, the cold water, the continuous high wind, and the elimination of a large number of sites because of current and high surge it was too strenuous and not worth the trip. It's not the easiest place to get to and (especially) back from. I just don't think it's a good fit for me any more.

You've heard me say this before but we really enjoy the easy, valet diving and the all-inclusive "turnkey" dive vacations at the Clearly Cayman resorts on Cayman Brac and Little Cayman.

I might give that a try at some point. The reason I'm considering the keys is that I can get a direct round trip flight to Ft. Lauderdale for just under $200 from Albany (my home airport). A direct flight with no customs to clear sounds pretty good to me right now. Especially the part where I just get on a boat, drop directly onto the reef, and get back out on the boat. I'll still switch over my gear, but not having to lug it into and out of the water with long surface swims ... Sounding better and better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom