Trip Report Calipso Galapagos Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tripp: Drrich always wins the trip report awards and you now are my hero for the "answering 1000 questions " award. As our group is going in January, many of your answers were helpful for us. My wife is a big fan of the schedule with light "breakfast" at 6:00ish then a first early dive then a full breakfast. She and I love the light at that time of day for panga rides and diving. Thanks for being so helpful. We're keeping our fingers crossed that things do go ahead as planned 5 months from now.

Rob

Tripp: Drrich always wins the trip report awards and you now are my hero for the "answering 1000 questions " award. As our group is going in January, many of your answers were helpful for us. My wife is a big fan of the schedule with light "breakfast" at 6:00ish then a first early dive then a full breakfast. She and I love the light at that time of day for panga rides and diving. Thanks for being so helpful. We're keeping our fingers crossed that things do go ahead as planned 5 months from now.

Rob
Please don't hesitate to contact me for any more questions. I loved every bit of the trip as you can tell!

@Tripp thank you for taking the time to respond to all my questions (I know there were a lot). This helps. I had read someone noted getting a COVID test in Puerto Ayora (near the intersection of Av Baltra and Thomas de Berlanga), but I had not read where this was part of the Calipso itinerary / tour. If they do that, it certainly makes not stressing at the Quito airport.

One follow-up, I have never used a 13L tank before. Is it that much heavier or more difficult to use? Would Galapagos be a bad time to try it out? I am not one of the best at air consumption. On a typical 40-60 ft dive without fighting currents or other issues, I can make it about 50 mins (some times an hour).

Again, thank you for the responses.

@Paul Crane I was on Calipso in Jul. You have to tell them that you need antigen test in Puerto Ayora and DM will take you there on the day of excursion. The test is performed at Red Cross, takes 20-30 mins, costs $40 (cash only). The facility will send you email (make sure they type it correctly) and/or you can swing by and grab paper copy. Keep in mind that they close at 4:30 pm local.

Thanks for this report and being willing to answer all the questions. I’ll be on the January trip with Peeweediver and friends and appreciate hearing others’ experience!

Deborah

@Paul Crane I was on Calipso in Jul. You have to tell them that you need antigen test in Puerto Ayora and DM will take you there on the day of excursion. The test is performed at Red Cross, takes 20-30 mins, costs $40 (cash only). The facility will send you email (make sure they type it correctly) and/or you can swing by and grab paper copy. Keep in mind that they close at 4:30 pm local.

Excellent detail. Appreciate this information.

Paul, It was slightly heavier, and I had to adjust my tank strap slightly, but it was great. I just used the same tank over and over. They refill the tanks with nitrox right in the racks on the diving deck. Easy-peasy.

Great post and answers! I was just wondering what dates your trip was, looking to book for 2023.

We just had a group return from CALIPSO yesterday - their 3rd time on her and loved it - everything there. The boat normally schedules 7 night trips but we do have several 14 night trips for this September and for May 2023, if you wish to extend your time there. You can find all availability on our live site at Find available spaces, book a trip on a dive liveaboard | Dive Advice and for charters at Find available spaces, book a trip on a dive liveaboard | Dive Advice

You don't need to book thru us but it is a very good resource to check out what is available and compare boats.

Dominick Macan
Dive Advice Travel
dom@diveadvice.com
www.diveadvice.com
Tel: +33 492 94 02 99 (France)

Find available spaces, book a trip on a dive liveaboard | Dive Advice … for up-to-date liveaboard availability worldwide

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom