Cabo's Must Do Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ann Marie

be happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Heading to Cabo for a weekend in May and planning on diving one day only. Any suggestions or favorites?

Thanks!

I have dove Cabo on 2 different occasions. The first time was actually in Cabo, and the 2nd I drove to Cabo Pulmo. Cabo Pulmo was an UNBELIEVABLE experience. 3 different schools of Rays, huge grouper, you name it. You have to go to Cabo Pulmo if you are only diving one day. The drive is very easy if you rent a car, you do drive on gravel for the last part of the trip, but only for about 20 minutes. There was also buses dropping people off, although I am not sure how to book that.

Good luck, and enjoy your trip!

Cabo Pulmo is awesome diving but it is an all day affair. It took us two hours to drive there and then go diving and two hours back, with a fair bit of time driving on dirt roads. If you are diving in Cabo itself, I would try to dive Sea Lion Rock, it is really cool to dive with the sea lions, they play with you if they feel like it. Land's End just around the corner from the sea lions is cool too, saw diving cormorants last trip. Sand Falls is just ok, I think the DM had to kick at it to get the sand falling. The across the bay trips to Santa Maria and Twin Dolphins are pretty good too, less boat traffic and a few more fish. Have fun. Pack a good wetsuit cause the water will most likely be in the high 60s to low 70's.

I like the dive op Amigos del Mar, they have a nice, wide catamaran boat, which they keep docked close to Playa Grande, Finisterra and Sol Mar Resorts. Whatever dive op you end up using, take a look at a picture of their dive boat, if it is a panga it will not be that comfy for the SIT or have as much room to stash your stuff. The dive sites are mostly with in 5 minutes of the marina where the boats are kept.

Thanks for the tips! I appreciate it.

Just another option for your consideration: I don't know what would be running in May, but Gordo Banks is a deep seamount known for pelagics, if that is of interest to you.

Suggest that you email Kevin at Amigos del Mar and maybe even prearrange. Because of the distance, dives to Cabo Pulmo or Gordo Banks are not done everyday and only done if they have enough people.

Thanks, I'll email them now. Pelegics.....yea! :sharkattack: :luxhello:

Hello Divers. The best Dives in May are going to the local spots Peligan Rock, middle wall, Sea Loins Colony these my top three picks.July to December Cabo Pulmo and Gordo Banks are great but to windy and rough in Winter. Most shops wont book until then except if you call the two shops located there of course they will say its great come on down.But a total of 5 hours Driving just get turned back without diving sucks.
I have Dove with all the shops in Cabo. Baja Dive is who I Dive with because they have the largest Dive Boat there but split the groups into small groups of 4 or 5 Divers.
They also use PADI Instructors as the Dive Guides not just a open Water Diver to guide.

Contact Them at Home

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom