cabo,santa maria beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brinno1

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
we are planning another trip to cabo in april,been there twice and have done some nice diving in bay and at cabo pulmo. i would like to do some shore diving at a few places we have snorkeled before, last time i brought my gear less tanks, is there any place that will rent tanks with a reasonable price close to any dive sites,i plan on doing some boat diving, however i am limited on how much i can spend. anyone know where i can get tanks? and good dive shops. thanks

The best place in the Cabo area for shore diving/snorkeling is Playa Chileno, which is maybe a mile from Playa Santa Maria. Chileno is the most sheltered spot along the whole coast because it is protected by a very long point of rocks that extend offshore. Although I only snorkel, I have been there many times and always have enjoyed it. It's a great beach too, and surprisingly uncrowded. I had a friend with me one year who went on a beach dive there and liked it too. I think the deepest he went was 50 feet. There used to be a small dive shop right on beach that would rent gear. They could also call you a cab after you finished your dive, and they sold drinks and snacks, had a rinse tank, etc. This would have been perfect for you. It is my recollection that Chileno was the only spot in Cabo convenient for beach diving. Unfortunately, I heard somewhere on-line that the shop has closed. I haven't been to Cabo for a couple of years, so hopefully someone else can verify this.

Hope this helps.

Hello the shop that was at chileno Beach has closed.you will have to go into cabo San Lucas to rent tanks.I have been Diving With Baja Dive for a number of years and they will rent tanks to you.They are easy to find. At the end of marina blvd.is the Tesoro Resort just go around the back and enter the free city parking lot and you will see them facing the parking lot.or visit the web site www.baja-dive.net/ .
I was just there in Dec.had a great week of Diving.

brinno1:
we are planning another trip to cabo in april,been there twice and have done some nice diving in bay and at cabo pulmo. i would like to do some shore diving at a few places we have snorkeled before, last time i brought my gear less tanks, is there any place that will rent tanks with a reasonable price close to any dive sites,i plan on doing some boat diving, however i am limited on how much i can spend. anyone know where i can get tanks? and good dive shops. thanks

We usually rent a car so I can ferry my stuff to Chileano or Santa Maria. Thinking back it was quite a hike to the beach from the parking lot at Santa Maria but much less so to Chileano so that is where i would go. consider tipping the "attentdant" at the parking lot just a couple pesos because I have heard that things might be missing from your car if you don't.
I haven't dealt with any other dive ops than Amigos Del Mar, they will rent tanks and weights for $12 a day, but they are right in Cabo, near the cruise ship docks. They have the most comfortable dive boats in Cabo, wide, lots of storage and a head. You will need to rent the tanks in Cabo and drive to Chileano anyways since no dive ops are out at Chileano or Santa Maria. I snorkeled Santa Maria one september and I think it would be a good dive site, with the exception of the long walk to the parking lot carrying dive gear. They also take you across the bay in the dive boats to dive the same area (Chileano, Santa Maria, and near the Hotel Misiones) but it is usually more expensive than diving in the bay area closer to Cabo. Have fun. Choco

brinno1:

I forgot to add that you could try taking a water taxi over to Lover's Beach and diving off that area(on the bay side). It is really close to Pelican rock and relatively close to Neptune's Finger. You would have to be aware of boat traffic though since there are jet skiis, water taxis and pleasure boats in the area. they have a "bouyed off" area (not sure what to call it but it is off limits for boaters) close to the shore for snorkelers there too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom