Cabo questions in February Vs. Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lee3

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all, I've searched this forum and done some loose research on CSL about the dive sites and what to expect. My question involves migration patterns and generally what could I expect to see diving there for a week around Presidents Day weekend in February. It sounds like there are some larger pelagics, but the only two I've seen listed that I haven't dove with yet are hammerheads and whale sharks. We have a 2 week trip planned to the Galapagos for next fall and hope to see both species there however. My wife and I both dive Maui and the big island on two trips a year and February is my favorite time to visit because of the whale migrations around the islands. We were just there however and are slightly considering going to cabo san lucas instead. Is February a good time to go and would we be likely to come across hammerheads and whale sharks at that time of year?

Or should we go with what we know and love and enjoy diving molikini with Manta's and watching humpback's in hawaii? Thx in advance for any help.

Pepe's dive report is good for what is around in the Cabo Pumo area at different times of the year and what conditions to expect.
But have heard some negative things about how he operates.
Here's the link.
http://www.cabopulmo.com.mx/divereport/

Pepe's dive reports give you an idea of what you might see at any time of the year if you went diving at Cabo Pulmo. Many Cabo San Lucas operators don't go up there year around so check before you make plans based on his reports.

I dove with Pepe in July and again in November. In July, the flakey organization of his operation was compensated for by an excellent divemaster. He is gone and my experience in November was awful. Like others I paid my money and got there to be greeted by a fellow who came out of the trailer and had no idea who I was. Next morning we 7 divers in an open boat and a DM who knew less about the reef than I did. Pepe himself is rarely seen.

The dive operation out of Cabo Pulmo Beach resort is competent and has a pretty good rep.

I would choose Maui in Feburary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom