Cab tip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggunn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I usually have no trouble flagging a cab on Melgar, but occasionally they are more scarce for some reason or another. When that happens you can get the management wherever you are to call for one, but if you do that be sure to get the cab number and don't get into another one if it shows up before the one you called does. If people do that a lot at a particular location, the cab company may start refusing to send cabs there. That was the situation at Blue Angel when I was there last April.

Or one can walk a block or two in any direction and a cab will surely pass by....:)

A block or two? LOL Sometimes it seems cabs are a call away in the hotel zone at either end of the island but in town, uggh, they seem everywhere - if all else fails head towards the water, they get thicker there.

I have the cab company's number on my phone. I call, they come. If you are in an unusual place for cabs, then wait for the "number" that they give you. If in a common place, take the first one that stops. or not.

Cheers -

Or one can walk a block or two in any direction and a cab will surely pass by....:)
Most of the time, yes, but sometimes (Sunday evenings comes to mind) I have stood out on Melgar in front of Blue Angel for 10-15 minutes with nary an unoccupied taxi in sight. Walking either way for any reasonable distance would not have made any difference. Last April when that happened I walked back to the desk and asked them to call a cab for me. They told me that so many of their guests lately had been calling cabs when it really wasn't necessary and then taking another cab before the one that had been dispatched to pick them up that the cab company was not responding to calls.

That's why I use MY phone to call. The cab company always answers - or has always answered to date. Having said that they probably will never answer my call again. :) YMMV

Cheers -

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom