C5050 questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

THomas Marshall

Registered
Reaction score
I've been testing my C5050 and PT-015 setup in the pool for a few weeks now and I have a few questions I would appreciate some help with.

1-How many Gel Packs do you put in your case when you take it on a dive?

2-Do you remove, clean, and apply silicon to the o-ring every time you open the case?

3-I'm having trouble seeing the subject through the viewfinder or the display window. There is so much reflection off the case that all I can see is my own reflection. I'm barely able to see the subject. Could this be the fact that I'm in a very bright pool or is there some technique to this?

By the way, the quality of the pictures from the pool is excellent so far, and the camera also takes great pictures on land as well.

Thanks to everyone for steering me to the C5050 setup.

1. I put four of the 2 gram desiccant packs in my housing. Mine have indicator strips and I reuse them until the indicator turns pink. Then I bake them in the oven at 200 degrees for an hour to dehydrated them.

2. I only open the case when I have to. I can get two dives on one set of batteries; three if I push it. I only remove and clean the orings to make sure they're dry between dives. I only relube about once a week on a dive trip.

3. You won't have the same problem in the ocean, unless you are very shallow in very clear water.

Jim,

Thanks so much for the answers.

I will be in French Polynesia in two weeks (Taha'a, Bora Bora and Moorea) and I'm tuning up for the trip.

I've now memorized all the buttons and feel very comfortable with operating the camera. I don't have a strobe this time out because I wanted to keep it simple. I do have a custom handle and a WAL with holder and leash mounted to it. We're going to do a few shark-feeding trips and I want to try and get a few panoramic shots of the frenzy.

I will be in fairly shallow water and it will be crystal clear, this is because most of my pictures will be taken inside the lagoon.

This is my first time ever taking UW pictures (other than disposable type cameras) so my expectations will be low as far as quality goes.

I saw your pictures and they look fantastic, hopefully with lots of practice and time I will get to your level.

1-How many Gel Packs do you put in your case when you take it on a dive? If they are brand new one does the trick for me. If they're used (20-30 times) I add 1 or 2 more.
2-Do you remove, clean, and apply silicon to the o-ring every time you open the case? Since I have to DL the pictures at the end of each day I do clean and regrease the O-ring every morning when I put the set up back together.

3-I'm having trouble seeing the subject through the viewfinder or the display window. There is so much reflection off the case that all I can see is my own reflection. I'm barely able to see the subject. Could this be the fact that I'm in a very bright pool or is there some technique to this?
Are you using the screen hood? that will make a lot of difference and if there are bright lights at the pool I would guess it will make some trouble for you.

justleesa:
2-Do you remove, clean, and apply silicon to the o-ring every time you open the case? Since I have to DL the pictures at the end of each day I do clean and regrease the O-ring every morning when I put the set up back together.

Agree with leesa except for re greasing when opened. Getting the oring out of the grooves will tend to stretch it over time, so take it out as few times as possible. Plus, more grease just attracts more hair/dust etc. I will maybe take the orings out and actually regrease them once on a 6 day liveabord. Other than that, I just make sure they do not have water behind them or are dirty...

Chris

The Gel Packs will be brand new, and yes I was using the hood.

I'll be down loading the pics to a notebook PC every evening to closely review the results. So I guess I'll clean and lub the o-ring every night. I have spare o-rings, lots of Gel Packs and even a spare hood for the case.

I was wondering about the o-ring maintenance. I opened and closed the case several times during my testing in the pool and was able to leave it in because the pool is so clean.

So perhaps I'll just inspect it closely for sand and dirt as opposed to removing it every time.

Thanks Chris and justleesa for your help

very welcome! wish you good vis and much fun on your vacation!! Bring us lots of pictures back!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom