C5050 / CLA-1 and haze filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

herman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This is not exactly UW related but since the C5050 experts are here, thought it would be the best place. I just recieved a CLA-1 and a haze filter (Tifften 43mm)for my C5050, the idea being to use it as protection for the lens. I installed it and all fit until I turned the camera on. The lens extended, squawked and retracted. It seems that the lens hits the haze filter, I need another millimeter or so of space for it to work. The question is, is my problem the Tifften filter itself or am I going to have to have to use a step-up ring and a larger filter to make this work?

I have just done my research on this. The CLA1 was around from an earlier Olympus model and the lens tube is not long enough. You need to get a spacer to go between your lens tube and the filter.

I just bought a lens tube and a UV filter to protect my 5050. But I did not buy the CLA-1 lens tube. Instead I bought the Tiffen OLYC3000AD. That one is long enough, so my Tiffen UV filter goes right on that, and it just fits.

Get yourself a spacer. The CLA-1 is a hair too short.

Check out http://www.steves-digicams.com for more info. Look up accessories or look in the forums.

Kenlock UV filter
Hama UV filter
Hoya HMC (multicoated) clear, skylight, and UV filters
Soligor circular polarizing filter

BTW, more C5050 experts can be found at the forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Olympus_405060/

Everyone is welcome!

There are surely a bunch of other filters that work but these are the ones I know about. If you have one that works that is not on the list, I would appreciate to learn which it is. It is for a FAQ list on the mentioned forum.

Cheers, Jens.

Either get a step up ring, in which case you will need a larger filter, or if you can, swap the tube for the one made by Tiffen (OLYC3000AD) - it's longer and won't 'crash' your lens.
This is a well documented fact: http://www.wrotniak.com/photo/c5050/lens-adapt.html

Another thought: If you intend to get additional lenses (like the TCON 1.7x or WCON 0.7x) then keep the tube and get a 43-55 step-up ring (and 55mm filters) as these lenses require a step-up ring anyway.

ReyeR:
Either get a step up ring, in which case you will need a larger filter, or if you can, swap the tube for the one made by Tiffen (OLYC3000AD) - it's longer and won't 'crash' your lens.
This is a well documented fact: http://www.wrotniak.com/photo/c5050/lens-adapt.html

Another thought: If you intend to get additional lenses (like the TCON 1.7x or WCON 0.7x) then keep the tube and get a 43-55 step-up ring (and 55mm filters) as these lenses require a step-up ring anyway.

My 5050 will be in this week - I would have rushed out and got a CLA-1 for my lens armor - like I did for all my other CXX cams. Thanks for this.

K

ReyeR's link is a great one. That is actually where I did most of my research for my UV filter before buying it. I couldn't remember the link, but the info I posted about the OLYC3000AD I got from that site.

ReyeR:

Note that all filters larger than 43 mm will cast a visible shadow in the lower left corner when the internal flash is used and they will also block the optical viefinder to some extent. This is also happening when using the Tiffen or Raynox lens adapter tubes or if you shim the filter on the CLA-1 with an "empty" filter to keep the lens clear. So, IMO, keeping the CLA-1 and changing to a filter that works is the best solution if you want to use it as a permanently mounted lens armor.

Regards, Jens.

herman:
This is not exactly UW related but since the C5050 experts are here, thought it would be the best place. I just recieved a CLA-1 and a haze filter (Tifften 43mm)for my C5050, the idea being to use it as protection for the lens. I installed it and all fit until I turned the camera on. The lens extended, squawked and retracted. It seems that the lens hits the haze filter, I need another millimeter or so of space for it to work. The question is, is my problem the Tifften filter itself or am I going to have to have to use a step-up ring and a larger filter to make this work?

FYI, there was a thread on this about 3 weeks ago and one of the members noted that you can order all of these items from bugeyedigital.com for a good price.......which I did yesterday. Oh, and don't forget to order the lens cap,as your old one(41mm) won't fit the new 43mm size.

To add from previous thread:The items are TIF-OLYC3000AD Tiffen 41-43mm Lens Adapter $ 9.95 and
Kenko UV Haze Filter 43mm $ 14.95. They fit perfect and don't forget the 43mm lens cap to put over the UV filter, I forgot to order mine.

Thanks All.
Looks like it's a trip to the camera store. Now all I have to do is decide which way to go. Use the CLA-1 and a new filter or OLY3000 and the filter I have. Guess it depends on what I can find. Now I know why B&H had 43mm filters used at such a good price.

Back
Top Bottom