C&C Octopus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mar-y-sol

Registered
Reaction score
These shots were taken in Dominica with a SeaLife DC600, no strobes, no add on lenses. They were taken during the day around 25 feet, sorry I dont know the exact depth I was freediving. Photos have not been edited.
PBHReef181.jpg

PBHReef185.jpg

First one is very nice. Well composed, good focus, decent lighting for no strobes. Needs editing for green water and loss of red at depth. I took the liberty of adjusting levels in PS7. If it's too red, I apologize. I'm red/green color blind and can't always tell when I've crossed the line on a picture that's going from extremes. Level adjusting is very simple, and I think it can be done in PS Elements, which can be had for under $100. You just click on image>adjustments>levels and then use the sub menus for red, green, blue and rgb to adjust the light and dark levels for each color and the input and output levels you want. Takes a little experimentation, but it's all slider bars and you can watch the results. If it doesn't come out the way you like, just go to edit and undo it, or hit cancel before leaving levels. Always "save as" with a different title. I just add a PS, or PS2 for the second try, so it will save the original as well as the new version.
PBHReef181ps.jpg

Second try: I went back and took the overly red version and tried Image>Adjustments>Autocolors
PBHReef181ps2.jpg

wow that second edit came out really nice. I guess I'm going to have to shell out the money and get photoshop. Thanks for the advice.

Or try the Gimp. It's open source (free with no ads or junkware) and can do just about everything that Photoshop can.

wow that second edit came out really nice. I guess I'm going to have to shell out the money and get photoshop. Thanks for the advice.

Or get Photoshop elements which has levels functionality and a lot else but is a fraction of the price of the full version. Depends on your inclination, if you are prepared to put in the time to grow into the full version go for it, but if what you want is relatively user friendly software to clean up underwater pics I recommend elements.

Alison

IMO, the first shot is a keeper. Good composition and as Larry suggested (and showed), it justs needs some adjustments to compensate for the loss at depth.
The second looks a little blurred to me. Not sure if it is due to movement or hand shake.
Good job on both though.

Or try the Gimp. It's open source (free with no ads or junkware) and can do just about everything that Photoshop can.
Or buy a strobe, which is about the same cost as Photoshop and take pictures that don't require processing.

Actually I have a double digital strobe system on it that came with the camera. The only reason why I havent been using it is because its bulky and I have to work a lot to get down to depth, and excess work and freediving dont really mix. I definetly use it when I scuba dive the problem is that in Dominica you can only get tanks if you are diving with a dive shop not if you are going out by yourself so just to go out to the reef where these were taken which is about 100 ft from shore its not really worth it me paying for a dive trip thus I dont use the strobes.

Here's the other one, just for kicks. It's actually not bad. I think a lot of the blur is the Octopus blending. I've had that problem before. I thought I had an out of focus picture, instead I had an Octopus who made his skin look out of focus.
Same technique, lower the green and up the red in levels, then hit autocolor. I'll have to try that on some of my own green shots.
Since you're diving shallow, with natural light, you might try a filter. UR PRO makes a green water filter. For tropical water, the Magic Filter works well in good light down to 40 feet.

PBHReef185ps2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom