C&C: Maze Coral

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DamselDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have seen some of you do some pretty cool things with with some less than perfect shots, so I thought that I would see if I could get some creative input from the experts. I know that this isn't the best shot (in terms of shooting down on the subject, lack of color, etc.), but I really like the texture of maze coral.

1. Is there anything I can do with the editing that would make it a cool shot?
2. Any good ideas for future shots where the coral sits so low that I really couldn't frame it so I am shooting upwards?

I made the shot in raw and converted to a tiff for ps editing (I have ps7.0). I did not crop or make any changes. I did drop the size to 700x525 and converted to a jpg for the post.

I am shooting with an Oly C5050, PT-015, dual INON D180s with -0.5 white diffusers

maze_coral_5_d1_keys_808.jpg

Macro shots would probably serve you well with this subject, capturing the rich texture of the coral head. Here's your image, cropped and enlarged as if it were a macro shot, desaturated, and contrast and brightness adjusted.

maze_coral_adjusted3.jpg

Also, if you can find a larger coral head, shoot UP, so you can get some blue water in the frame, maybe some other wildlife, and this will also make a huge difference, like this, except I'd find it more interesting to see a diver or a fish in the open space:

istockphoto_4127669-brain-coral.jpg

Also usual stuff with composition will help you... rule of thirds, compositions lines that draw the eye, etc. Lots of threads on this around here. :)

Macro shots would probably serve you well with this subject, capturing the rich texture of the coral head. The 5050 also has the Super Macro mode which may help you capture animals living on these coral heads. In any case, here's your image, cropped and enlarged as if it were a macro shot, desaturated, and contrast and brightness adjusted.

maze_coral_adjusted3.jpg

I know you know this already, but if you CAN find a larger coral head, shoot UP and get some blue water in the frame, maybe some other wildlife, and this will also make a huge difference, as this example below, except I'd find it more interesting to see a diver or a fish in the open space:

istockphoto_4127669-brain-coral.jpg

Also usual stuff with composition will help you... rule of thirds, compositions lines that draw the eye, etc. Lots of threads on this around here. :)

Back
Top Bottom