C-5050 or c-5060?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAGELLAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well, I'm about to get that digital camera I've waited so long to get. Since everyone raves about the c-5050 I've had in mind for some time to get that camera, but now it's hard to find and there's a newer 5060. I'm having difficulty locating the PT-015 too. I've found the camera and case at some online stores, but I'm not familiar with these "vendors". What's the difference with the new camera? It's just got such a high price tag, I'm even considering getting the c5000 w/PT-019, and calling it a day. I wouldn't consider myself an avid photograper, this is new for me, so I want something that's middle of the road. I'm trying to unload an HP 850 that eats batteries like the cookie monster, so my last digital camera shopping experience didn't go so well. Any thoughts?

Thanks Dee,

I'd read that one a few days ago. Feels like I'm swimming in too much information and I suppose I'm just too lazy, and I just want someone to tell me what to do. I really want the c5050 but I can't seem to find it at any of the "major" stores.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to do some more homework :wink:

I bought Beast one about a month ago from BuyDig.com. They're showing they have them in stock for $409...that's cheaper than I paid!

PM on the way...

Dee:
They're showing they have them in stock for $409...that's cheaper than I paid!

PM on the way...
I probably still owe more than that on the $799 I put on my Ultimate Electronics card when I bought mine.... :bawling:

I do love my 5050 though. I was up at Fry's last night playing with the 8080 and then the 5060 for the first time... And honestly, both of them don't feel right...

Then I started playing with a Digital Rebel... Now I'm suddenly in the market for an SLR.... :eek:

Yeah,
I'd try to get the 5050 if possible, but not that big of a deal...
The 5060 appears to be replacing the 5050 and there's not that much difference underwater so you'll do fine with it...
Plus it'll take longer for it to be outdated.. heheh... I guess that's a good think..

I haven't seen a 5060 but from what I'm reading, a couple of the big differences that would effect us UW photogs are....

The existing accessory lens won't fit it. If you want to use a WA lens, you have to use Olympus' land WA lens in an attached housing of it's own. They also have the external strobe designed the same way but I *think* you can use one of the fiber optic connected strobes.

MAGELLAN:
Well, I'm about to get that digital camera I've waited so long to get. Since everyone raves about the c-5050 I've had in mind for some time to get that camera, but now it's hard to find and there's a newer 5060. I'm having difficulty locating the PT-015 too. I've found the camera and case at some online stores, but I'm not familiar with these "vendors". What's the difference with the new camera? It's just got such a high price tag, I'm even considering getting the c5000 w/PT-019, and calling it a day. I wouldn't consider myself an avid photograper, this is new for me, so I want something that's middle of the road. I'm trying to unload an HP 850 that eats batteries like the cookie monster, so my last digital camera shopping experience didn't go so well. Any thoughts?

You may want to check out Olympus' Stylus range and/or Canon's range. I personally love the A70...check out recent posts by lukeRob...it is a system that can grow with you. A70 has been taken over by the A80, but the results should be very similar (and the A70 is cheap as chips if you can find it!) Check out the thread about buying your first (even though it isn't) digital camera on top of this board...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom