c-5050 and night dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabear

Contributor
Reaction score
When shooting with a 5050 at night, do you need a mod. or spotlight for it to function? Have used Nikonos on many night dives with just a laser pointer and strobe ? Come to think of it, what about shooting at depth and in grottos ? Thanks.

You will need a light for the autofocus on the 5050 camera. If you are using manual focus, then you can use it without a mod. light or spotlight. My Ikelite DS-125 has a great modeling light for use at night and in dark places during the day.

If you have a clear housing, the focusing light of the 5050 *might* work, I don't know. I've always used a small light secured to my strobe with rubber bands as a focusing light...I'm very low-tech!

I've got the 5060 but it's much the same and I do the same as Dee but use plastic ties instead of elastic bands to hold my little torch to the strobe.....gotta love this modern technology :D

If you are using the Olympus housing for the 5050 the auto focus assist light will work great. I've shot in total darkness using just the assist light, and the built in flash - no strobes or mod. light. However, you have to be close to do this.

When using the assist light I looked over the top of the camera and composed the shot based on where the assist light was hitting. I had to crop some of the images with Photoshop, but they were close enough that it wasn't an issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom