C-4040 to C-5050 upgrade experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azisme

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
If anyone is on the fence as to whether or not to upgrade from the 4040 to the 5050, let me share my experience:

I bought a 5050 on e-bay from someone that lives in the same area as me (no shipping fees) for $375. I then found a 2 or 3-month-old posting for a PT-015 for sale for $100 plus $8.00 shipping on a website I can’t recall. Why it wasn’t already sold I don’t know. Then just tonight, I sold my C-4040 (with a few extras) and the PT-010 in two separate auctions on ebay. Total sale price: $517.50.

Yep, I got paid $34.50 for upgrading!

The C-5050 that I purchased is like new if not new, and the housing was only used on one dive trip. The equipment I sold was in excellent condition, but the stuff I bought was in even better condition.

I am sure I was just damn lucky and am thrilled over the outcome. But how much is it worth it to you to trade up to a higher MP camera with a bunch of improvements and many times the memory capacity? As I said in an earlier post, my main reason for upgrading was the increased memory capabilities, which will allow me to use the camera for more than one dive without swapping out the memory card. This means I don’t have to open the housing up on the dive boat, eliminating a very risky task. That alone is worth money to me. My main reason for not upgrading … was money, which proved to be totally unjustified.

Going to try out my new equipment on the18th and 19th in San Carlos, Mexico. I will post pix when I return.

-Steve

Well I never owned the c-4040 so I can't comment on the upgrade differences - but it sounds to me like you got a GREAT deal!!! Congratulations!

Yep..great deal! I upgraded from a 4040 to 5050 for the extra memory options and the super macro feature. The biggest thing that kept me from doing it sooner was the jog dial. I still don't like it but have learned to work around it most of the time.

Yep, I agree with you on the jog dial. To have to push and hold a button while maneuvering another is tough enough on land, much less underwater. Overall the C-5050 w/pt-015 seems slightly more complicated than the C-4040 w/pt-010 but the tradeoffs seem to be well worth it.

-Steve

Thankfully, once you get things set, you don't have to change too much.

Back
Top Bottom