BYOB on liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the sharkman

Contributor
Reaction score
I'll be on a 4 day liveaboard in the Channel Islands (California). I'm told that we need to bring our own beverage. Once my diving is done for the day, I plan on kicking back with a few brews. Is it common for people to bring a cooler onboard of a liveaboard. I know that space is limited and it is not cool to bring a bunch of extra crap, but I don't want to skip bringing beer if it is an accepted practice.

:guitar:

.. that if they are making you bring your own beverages.. they could accomidate the space you need for you cooler.... but thats just my opinion.. for whatever its worth!:)

Kayla:)

I've been on dozens of liveaboards all over the world. But, I must admit that I have never done a liveaboard in contiguous U.S. waters? Usually it's open bar on board. At least beer and wine should be included, sometimes with a charge for hard liquor. A few liveaboards that go to extreme locations charge for the beers as well, but on an honor system. Many people bring a 'bottle' of their favorite along, but I have never seen the need to bring the beer along?

Is this a real liveaboard you are on, or is this a dive charter?

Is there a chef on board. Are meals provided? Is your cabin cleaned by staff each morning, and the bed made for You? How many guests? In any event, I don't see why you couldn't bring your own. Just remember, diving and drinking don't mix. Alcohol dehydrates the body. I was on a liveaboard where a diver suffered a hit simply because of drinking the day before. He was dehydrated, and that pre-disposed him to DCS. Have fun, but be careful:eek:ut:

I did a 3 day trip with Truth Aquatics, and it was BYO. Scuba Chip, you must have been exposed to the high end of the market for liveaboards - no one made my bed :)

My buddy and I brought a 12 pack along, figuring 2 beers each, each evening. In reality, we drank about 4 between us the entire trip - few other people were drinking, the days were full of diving, and susceptibility to DCS was an ever-present thought given the amount of diving we tried to squeeze in. We usually watched DVDs each night, and we'd have a beer during those, and there was unlimited fountain soft drinks, so we usually hit those instead.

Next time I won't be taking any alcohol along - there was plenty of fun to be had without it. Besides, you can get pretty wired on a dozen glasses of Coke :D

Every boat that I have been on in the Dancer Fleet were open bar. Every Aggressor that I have been on (I admit I haven't been on all of those) were open bar, and a fair number of independents have an open bar, like:
Sea Fare (Red Sea)
Odyssey (Truk)
Naia (Fiji & Tonga)
Solmar V (Cabo San Lucas, Mexico)
Solomon Sea
I am sure there are others, I just can't recall right now. Perhaps the charters that I was on included the open bar.
It is my understanding that Aussie boats are NOT open bar. The Sea Hunter (Cocos) is not open, and it's on the honor system.

But there is never any heavy drinking on these boats. 'Cause alcohol dehydrates, and this pre-disposes you to DCI.

Where was the Truth Aquatics trip to? :)

Like I posted previously, I have never done a Liveaboard in the contiguous 48 U.S. states. I have also never been on a liveaboard that was only 3 days. Usually, they are a week or longer.

I just bring my rum ... fits real good into my dive bag

but in the beginning we stocked up on duty free then found we didn't drink it! Most boats I have been on have beer available with the honour system but still only had the occaisional one - just did not feel like drinking!

Hard to believe, but true!!

Jonathan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom