BX2 Not Turning On Underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walso9

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I own two Dive Rite BX2 torches. They are both the newer generation with the battery that plugs directly into a USB. When they work, they are fantastic torches.

On the surface, both lights will turn ON 100% of the time. However, underwater, both torches successfully turn on maybe 50% of the time. Some times we have to try 10-20 times to turn them on underwater. Sometimes no joy at all. We did notice that if we power them on the surface, they will stay on for the duration of the dive.

Neither light has ever been flooded, o-rings look good, etc, etc. Has anyone experienced something like this with the BX2? Is there a trick to it?

My wife and I own two Dive Rite BX2 torches. They are both the newer generation with the battery that plugs directly into a USB. When they work, they are fantastic torches.

On the surface, both lights will turn ON 100% of the time. However, underwater, both torches successfully turn on maybe 50% of the time. Some times we have to try 10-20 times to turn them on underwater. Sometimes no joy at all. We did notice that if we power them on the surface, they will stay on for the duration of the dive.

Neither light has ever been flooded, o-rings look good, etc, etc. Has anyone experienced something like this with the BX2? Is there a trick to it?
Glad to hear I'm not the only one! I have two BX2s. They've worked flawlessly for about a year but on my dives this week they both acted exactly as you describe - worked on the surface but wouldn't turn on underwater. I'm sure I'll be able to get that resolved but still disappointing..

Mike

I don't know if this is helpful, but I had a problem with my LX20 that was similar. Batteries charged, light turned on fine above the surface. It would turn on for a second and then turn off.

The LX20 has a different battery, but possibly the solution is the same. I found a very slight deposit on the conductors, too small to make a difference as far as I could see. The O-rings looked perfect, no apparent water ingress or corrosion. I do inspect my o-rings before each assembly and lubricate as needed. Possibly I had been diving in cold water and opened it in a warmer environment, causing condensation, have had that happen with cameras. I wiped the terminals and conductor off with a sanitizer wipe and it has been fine ever since. Pretty worrisome, I know.

I've had the exact same problem.

I've had my BX2 fail underwater twice now. Turn them on/off 10-20 times, sometimes it works, sometimes the light comes on but it's super dim.

Both times, I surfaced and it started working fine. I returned it DR for service, and they were unable to replicate the problem. Maybe I'm not alone? I'm considering replacing it with another light as my backup (I have a CX2 to use as a primary).

I've decided to ditch the BX2 and replace it with a SecurityIng light with alkaline batteries. Shame, the BX2 was such a compact, cool little light. Too bad it failed on two different trips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom