BX Inflator...yay!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We just returned from 2 weeks on Bonaire where although we were able to rinse our gear after diving, everything still needed a thorough soaking and cleaning when we arrived home.

I can't even begin to describe how EASY it was to clean the inside of our BC bladders with the new BX inflators! The inside was always one place we always felt weren't rinsed well enough, but not anymore.

I recommend the BX inflator highly for everyone who dives salt water (in particular).

Thanks DiveMaven!

Just made the switch too, but haven't been able to try it out yet. However, if you're reading, Scott, I'm still waiting to see a storage cap or plug for the BX coupler, so I can store my BC with air in the wing, while the inflator is stored with my reg. If I remember, that was one of the big supposed "pluses" initially, that you could leave the inflator with the reg. And if I do leave the inflator on the BC, now the moss cap is too large for the QD fitting on the BX inflator. Hmmm....

If anyone can steer me to a one-piece, male-threaded garden hose cap that will seal the end of my inflator hose when the BX inflator is detached, so I can store my Brigade with the wing aired up, I would love it if they would point me to it! I've tried two of the big-box home stores and a well-stocked hardware store, and have only found a solution if I cobble together two different parts.

I still maintain you need to include a part with the inflator that fits the above description, Scott.

That's a great idea- I was just thinking how nice it would be to be able to inflate my BC during storage. I have a QD attachment for my garden hose that I use to switch between my spray nozzle and the quick connect flush attachment for my outboard. I bought two (bronze fittings) at Home Depot and keep one on each attachment. When these are detached, I believe they close off the flow completely, otherwise the water would flow and it would be impossible to attach the next fixture under pressure.

You also have the issue with the BX Inflator of the red nipple protruding from the end of the female hose coupling. It's great for the function of the part, but it makes it much harder to find any kind of cap that will work to close it off.

I am starting to think that you guys are over analyzing this.

If I am correct, the big issue here is storing the BC with some air in it, correct??

If you have the BX Inflator, you can just screw it on, put a few breaths in it and put it in your gear bag, storage locker, etc.

If you have the Octo-Z, you can purchase a BX Inflator to do the same thing.

**Customer in the back: "But Scott, we shouldn't have to purchase a whole seperate piece of gear in order to store the BC with air in it, should we? That's not fair!!!"

Hmmm...good point. Although that is still an option, I have another idea!!!

The main reason for leaving the Octo-Z attached to your regs is to keep the gunk and debris from getting inside the QD fitting. During a beach dive, live aboard, or even a single boat trip this is a great idea....however....once you are home and have thoroughly rinsed and cleaned your gear, it would be ok to take the Octo-Z off your reg setup and reattach it to the BC - if you like to store it with some air in it. Just put the plug inside the BC and everything should be fine.

Does that make sense, or am I out in left field here???

One my gear was cleaned and dried, I put my BX inflator back on, put a couple of puffs in my Zena, and hung it in the closet. Not sure what advantage there is to storing it with the inflator off.

No, you're not out in left field, Scott.

OK, OK, I surrender ... I'm convinced ... sort of. But one last question ... is there a moss cap that fits the QD on the BX inflator, because the one I had on my Octo+ is too big, and falls right off!

Still wondering what happened to the idea (from Zeagle) that with the new BX inflator, now you can leave the inflator with your reg set ... never mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom