Buying Xmas Present for my Husband and I Have a Few Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have some questions for the UW photography and camera experts. I've ordered the new Tovatec Mera integrated dive light, still camera, and video camera as a Christmas present for my husband from Amazon, see the link below.

MERA Dive Light & Built In Camera

I realize that this isn't the finest UW camera equipment but it's not terribly expensive and it looks like it could be easy and fun to play around with - and who knows, he might get some good shots if the conditions are good - and he is lucky! And he always carries a dive light anyway and this one has other functions, so that sounds nice!

I am trying to figure out what accessories should be purchased for the camera but I know nothing about cameras, UW photography, and not much about computers either! The specs for the unit are posted below.

I have some questions and would appreciate input from the SB photographers, I tried calling the company but the guy I talked to wasn't very helpful.

Thanks in advance for your assistance, see below:

1) I understand that the device comes with a lanyard to attach to your BCD, does that sound adequate? If not, what do you recommend?

2) It comes with a charger for the "lithium-ion power source". I think that the battery is removable because the weight listed below is "without battery". Should I order a second battery (and a stand alone charger?) so that he can switch them out after diving instead of waiting for it to recharge? If yes, can you suggest the type of battery (and charger) to order?

3) I understand that is uses a "2 to 64 SD card" for photos and video. What size/type/brand of SD card do you recommend?

4) We do not take a laptop with us on vacation but we do bring an iPhone and an iPad, is there an SD card reader attachment that would allow him to view his pictures on his phone or tablet? Or should I look for a stand alone card viewer instead? If yes, please recommended a viewer.

5) When I ordered the unit from Amazon they offered me a 3 year "Square Trade Equipment" protection plan for $10.25 that covers the price of the camera - so I bought it - does that sound adequate?

6) There are no filters available for this camera at this time but apparently some are being developed and will be available later. Is there anything else that I should get for this device at this time?

Thank you!

TovatecMeraSpecs.png

I have some questions for the UW photography and camera experts. I've ordered the new Tovatec Mera integrated dive light, still camera, and video camera as a Christmas present for my husband from Amazon, see the link below.

MERA Dive Light & Built In Camera

I realize that this isn't the finest UW camera equipment but it's not terribly expensive and it looks like it could be easy and fun to play around with - and who knows, he might get some good shots if the conditions are good - and he is lucky! And he always carries a dive light anyway and this one has other functions, so that sound's nice!

I am trying to figure out what accessories should be purchased for the camera but I know nothing about cameras, UW photography, and not much about computers either! The specs for the unit are posted below.

I have some questions and would appreciate input from the SB photographers, I tried calling the company but the guy I talked to wasn't very helpful.

Thanks in advance for your assistance, see below:

1) I understand that the device comes with a lanyard to attach to your BCD, does that sound adequate? If not, what do you recommend?

2) It comes with a charger for the "lithium-ion power source". I think that the battery is removable because the weight listed below is "without battery". Should I order a second battery (and a stand alone charger?) so that he can switch them out after diving instead of waiting for it to recharge? If yes, can you suggest the type of battery (and charger) to order?

3) I understand that is uses a "2 to 64 SD card" for photos and video. What size/type/brand of SD card do you recommend?

4) We do not take a laptop with us on vacation but we do bring an iPhone and an iPad, is there an SD card reader attachment that would allow him to view his pictures on his phone or tablet? Or should I look for a stand alone card viewer instead? If yes, please recommended a viewer.

5) When I ordered the unit from Amazon they offered me a 3 year "Square Trade Equipment" protection plan for $10.25 that covers the price of the camera - so I bought it - does that sound adequate?

6) There are no filters available for this camera at this time but apparently some are being developed and will be available later. Is there anything else that I should get for this device at this time?

Thank you!

View attachment 491102
The lanyard is probably a wrist lanyard, not a BCD lanyard, unless one adds a clip of some sort.

A lot of available accessories are a matter of personal preference for style of diving and video activity. If it was a little smaller I would have suggested a hand strap to mount it to the back of the hand, but I think this is too large for that to work well. I think it is premature to think about about a tray system, but I suppose if you get an adapter and an arm, so you could turn it into a pistol grip which would probably be more comfortable to use.

Based on the rated time, a second battery wouldn't be a bad idea. But I see no need for a second charger. Unless someone reading has one to open up and check the battery, you will need to call Tovatec and ask what the size is.

Are you sure it is an SD card and not a Micro SD card? Once you determine that, just be sure it is at least a Class 10 card for recording video smoothly.

The lanyard is probably a wrist lanyard, not a BCD lanyard, unless one adds a clip of some sort.

A lot of available accessories are a matter of personal preference for style of diving and video activity. If it was a little smaller I would have suggested a hand strap to mount it to the back of the hand, but I think this is too large for that to work well. I think it is premature to think about about a tray system, but I suppose if you get an adapter and an arm, so you could turn it into a pistol grip which would probably be more comfortable to use.

Based on the rated time, a second battery wouldn't be a bad idea. But I see no need for a second charger. Unless someone reading has one to open up and check the battery, you will need to call Tovatec and ask what the size is.

Are you sure it is an SD card and not a Micro SD card? Once you determine that, just be sure it is at least a Class 10 card for recording video smoothly.

I tried calling Tovatec but the man I spoke with wasn't very helpful all he said was "an SD card 2 to 64 (gigs?)" but thank you for making me aware that there are such a thing as a "micro SD card"!

When the item arrives, hopefully I will be able to open it and figure out a little more about it - without damaging the package.

I found out some more info about the card that the Tovatec Mera camera uses:
"Accepts user-supplied microSD card, Class 10 or higher, up to 64GB"

Any suggestions for the size/brand of microSD card that I should purchase? Thanks!

I found out some more info about the card that the Tovatec Mera camera uses:
"Accepts user-supplied microSD card, Class 10 or higher, up to 64GB"

Any suggestions for the size/brand of microSD card that I should purchase? Thanks!
Can’t go wrong with Sandisk. I just bought a 128GB for my phone from Amazon for $21.75

Kathy not sure if it uses SD or Micro Sd card but either way I would consider this if Micro SD

SanDisk 64GB microSDXC Extreme 100MB/s A1 4K U3 V30 SD microSD memory card ….about $25. on ebay.

I use this in video applications in 4K mode it will hold a little over 60 minutes of video .has a very fast "write" speed .

Looks like an innovative product never saw one before.

Can’t go wrong with Sandisk. I just bought a 128GB for my phone from Amazon for $21.75

Kathy not sure if it uses SD or Micro Sd card but either way I would consider this if Micro SD

SanDisk 64GB microSDXC Extreme 100MB/s A1 4K U3 V30 SD microSD memory card ….about $25. on ebay.

I use this in video applications in 4K mode it will hold a little over 60 minutes of video .has a very fast "write" speed .

Looks like an innovative product never saw one before.

Thank you! The Tovatec Mera was just released at DEMA which is why it is so hard to find out anything about it, it's brand new.

I am worried because I can't find many reviews or ratings on the product yet; but it isn't terribly expensive and my husband is hard to buy for - so I decided to go for it!

Back
Top Bottom