Buying wetsuits on cozumel/playa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pajjpen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey! I'm going to Cozumel next month and I'll need to pick up a 5mm full wetsuit along with a 3mm shorty. I was going to do this before my trip but the selection here in Sweden is rather minimal, especially during winter.
So is there a lot of shops that actually sell wetsuits on Cozumel or in playa?
Cheers

Don't know about Playa del Carmen, but there are a few shops in Cozumel. IMO, however, the selection is pretty limited...especially in 5 mm (if available at all). If you know your size, you could try ordering on line. Recently I needed a new hooded vest and the shop ordered in 3 different sizes for me to make sure I got the best fit.

I really don't want to order one online, also don't have a lot of time to return stuff if it doesn't fit, as I'm leaving in 2 weeks. I'll see what I can come up with in Sweden.
If anybody has some input on the selection in playa id appreciate it.
Mind listing the shops that sell wetsuits MMM?

ProDive, Cozumel Scuba Repair, and Studio Blue are the three that come to my mind. Cozumel Scuba Repair's website is cozumelscubarepair.com if you wanted to contact them. The others might be found through Google. Don't know...don't really buy much of anything from them.

I really don't want to order one online, also don't have a lot of time to return stuff if it doesn't fit, as I'm leaving in 2 weeks. I'll see what I can come up with in Sweden.
If anybody has some input on the selection in playa id appreciate it.
Mind listing the shops that sell wetsuits MMM?

If you are only shopping for Cozumel, I think a 5MM full plus a 3MM shortie is going to be way overkill. Most dive with only 3MM fulls and a beanie in the winter months in Coz. It may be best to rent while you are in Coz, try different sizes and see how much thickness you really need. As I've said before, I'll take a 3MM full suit with a tropic beanie any day over a 5MM full suit with no beanie.

a 5mm full wetsuit along with a 3mm shorty
I hope you don't plan to wear those together? I hate being cold, but I wore a 1 mil jump suit last time I went to Coz in the winter. I'd take my 3 mil in case, but not my 5 mil.

Cold tolerances vary greatly with individuals, and I used to know a woman who wore a dry suit in Coz in the summer, but I'd think a guy from Norway would be as tolerate as I am.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I won't be wearing those two together while in coz, no.
I am however doing a liveaboard to the Socorro islands after coz, and was recently told they don't rent out any suits on the boat anymore, which is why I'm now looking to buy.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I won't be wearing those two together while in coz, no.
I am however doing a liveaboard to the Socorro islands after coz, and was recently told they don't rent out any suits on the boat anymore, which is why I'm now looking to buy.
Ah ha, the rest of the story. :) I understand. The 3 mil for Coz and the 5 mil for the Pacific may well work. I like all long jumpsuits tho, for protection against floating stingers common to Cozumel waters, ladder bumps, etc.

Have a great trip. :cool:

If you're live aboard is floating out of San Jose del Cabo, try to get in touch with East Cape Explorers to see if you can rent or buy a wet suit from them. They have 5 mils for rent and were very accommodating when I dove with them.

http://www.eastcapeexplorers.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom