Buying used cold water equipment opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm taking up a new hobby and would like your suggestions. I've found a 7mm wetsuit, hood and gloves which are 5 years old and have been taken out 5 times.

The suit is size XL, supposed to fit size 12/14, I am size 10/12, will I be able to wear this comfortably or will there be issues?

Should I be weary of buying 5 year old equipment?

Thanks in advance for your advice!!!

The insulating value of a wetsuit decreases over time, even if it is not used. The insulation comes from the air bubbles trapped in the neoprene foam. Over time, these bubbles break down, decreasing the insulation supplied by the wetsuit. Storage conditions and original neoprene quality make a huge difference, so it is hard to say what kind of shape this suit might be in. There is no way to evaluate the fit without trying it on, but if the size runs true, it won't do you much good. A wetsuit that is too big allows too much water to flow through the suit, negating any insulating value, as the flowing cold water will absorb a lot of body heat. A wetsuit should fit like a second skin.

To sum up, you should be wary of buying 5-year-old equipment. You might be better off with a new budget brand suit. And fit is absolutely the most critical thing to a wetsuit.

LakeCountryDiver:
Hi,

I'm taking up a new hobby and would like your suggestions. I've found a 7mm wetsuit, hood and gloves which are 5 years old and have been taken out 5 times.

The suit is size XL, supposed to fit size 12/14, I am size 10/12, will I be able to wear this comfortably or will there be issues?

Should I be weary of buying 5 year old equipment?

Thanks in advance for your advice!!!

I'd stay away from 5-yr old wetsuits - neoprene can compress/degrade and therefore lose much of it's insulating ability. Not saying this is the issue with this particular suit, but age is not a friend to neoprene.

Also sound like the suit is too big for you, but you CANNOT go by what size you are or usually wear. You MUST try a suit on. This is particularly true for women, which from what I can tell from years of close observation vary greatly in terms of location and degree of "curviness" when it comes to body types.

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom