Buying the best scuba mask online. I'm new.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spent hours at the shop looking for a good fit. I must have tried all the masks in the world until I found one that was on clearance in a little brown box stuffed under a shelf at the bottom. I have 7 masks and it is the best one by far and it is a HOG mask.

I was about to just give up that day. So just keep in mind it will take time to get a good fit. Don't settle with just ok.

Oh so that's why I'm having to ask on this forum.

I must find a diving place with a pool to test. I'm guessing this is best if I'm going to spend for quality.

Lots of useful info from you guys.

Fit is first

You don't need a pool (although that would be nice), just put it on your face and inhale a little

Hi sorry for stealing the thread Bob.
I sitting with two masks at home that i bought online. The Cressi frameless and the Atomic Aquatics Frameless. The Atomic with a slightly thinner silicone skirt fits a little better and tends to stay on better if i try to ext smile, move my jaw, eyebrows. But the Cressi seals completely to. With the Atomic i can also see slightly wider. i bought the Atomic for 104 dollars and the Cressi for 38 dollars (bargain price). What should i do? // August

Keep em both. Sounds like they both fit. To the OP, you do not need to spend for quality. I have masks for 20 bucks that are just as high quality as the one I paid 80 for. It is truly all about fit.

Price is irrevelent. My current favorite was on clearance online for $20. It fits better than the more expensive masks I own.

trying a mask in person is best. Try them on with a regulator in your mouth. My last mask was great in the shop, but sprung leaks once I had a reg in.

i recently bought masks online for my boys. My Lds didn't carry anything that fit them well. I bought 8 masks and kept three(my wife found one that fit her). More of a pain, but it worked out in the end.

About mask fit.....

Yes, it is absolutely as important as everyone says, and yes you must try and try until you get the right fit. Here is what I consider to be the important part that is often, if not always missed... put a regulator (or even a snorkel) in your mouth when trying on masks! It changes the fit of the mask. I have seen many, many students who buy a mask that fits great in the shop and have no idea why it leaks so bad in the water. It is because their face is very different with a reg in their mouths. :)

I won a TUSA Freedom One mask on their Facebook page during a contest about 8 months ago. I was actually surprised it fit well when I got it.

Oh so that's why I'm having to ask on this forum.

I must find a diving place with a pool to test. I'm guessing this is best if I'm going to spend for quality.

Lots of useful info from you guys.

This is the way I would approach the "problem".

Honesty is the best policy. Go to all the shops in your area and tell them that you are on the quest for the "perfect" mask. Explain that you are going to try on masks at different shops and what are their return policies. If the shop is alright with accepting a return, buy it and go to the next shop. If the shop isn't on board with your quest, you might want to look at others for your future LDS.

The quest for the perfect mask is common to all divers and all LDS's should understand. End of the day, you are going to have two masks to choose from.

The biggest benefit is that you will have a better feel for all the LDS's in you area.

BTW, in a mask "quality" is fit, not price, low volume, color, sparkles, purge valves......

I dive a fairly high volume mask, Scubapro Crystal View, and don't give a fart about it not being low volume.

I drove to 5 different dive shops before I found the one I liked the best.

If you haven't seen and tried the mask on, I would strongly advice against buying online. The mask that don't fit is the worst mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom