Buying side mount equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YahiaAhmed

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am planning to start learning technical diving next month, and I want to buy my own diving gear. I currently have my own gear, but for recreational diving.

I just had my course side mount last Feb, and I am going for advanced nitrox, deco procedures and maybe extended range if the time allows during my vacation. So currently I am looking on the internet about the best dive equipment for side-mount/technical diving and I am planning to purchase them, but before I do, I really need professional advise from the pros here.

1. Katana 2 BCD, there are two options, single bladder or dual. (what's the difference? I learnt my side mount on xdeep stealth with single inflator, so I don't know really what's the dual used for)
2. Shearwater Teric computer with the transmitter, I like it because I can wear it on daily basis and looks cooler than the Perdix, but I want your practical opinions?
3. Hollis regulator set 200LX & DCX first and second stage
4. Hollis Dx 300x Dry suit
5. Hollis F1 Fins

by the way, I really like hollis since most of my recreational gear are from this brand, but feel free to suggest other brand with the same good quality or better. For me money isn't an issue, so I am willing to pay whatever as long it the product really worth it's value. but again and Im really seeking your professional practical experience what's better? even if it's cheaper.

1. The single vs dual bladder is an old fight, the idea is that the second bladder is there for redundancy if your primary bladder fails. If you are not very overweighted, it is questionable whether you need a second inflation system. Either way, if you do get a dual bladder remember to service/maintain/check the second bladder as you would the first, and DO NOT leave the second LPI connected to it, if you have a leak into the bladder you won't be able to tell which one is leaking and that is bad news on a deco dive. Your instructor should be able to assist with the finer details

2. Teric are lovely computers, if you like the watch form factor no reason to choose a Perdix over the Teric. If you aren't planning on helium, the new Peregrine would be worth having a look at, but you would sacrifice the transmitter option.

3. Most all regulators would be good, my personal preference is for the Deep6 regulator sets, bulletproof, inexpensive and very nice for side mount routing. Can also be serviced by any service tech (or yourself if you do a course) without warranty issues, which may be a benefit to you in Egypt.

4. Seaskin Nova drysuit is what I use, after a LOT of searching and comparing. the price vs features is hard to beat. If you are diving dry, then point 1 above falls away as you do not need a second bladder, your DS is your redundant buoyancy.

5. Deep 6 Eddy fins are by far the most comfortable foot pocket I have ever used, I have no experience of the Hollis fins to compare but have used most of the other jet type fins out there.

It seems your initial choices are very Hollis-centric, are you getting a decent discount on them or is there another reason for that, local supply maybe?

1. The single vs dual bladder is an old fight, the idea is that the second bladder is there for redundancy if your primary bladder fails. If you are not very overweighted, it is questionable whether you need a second inflation system. Either way, if you do get a dual bladder remember to service/maintain/check the second bladder as you would the first, and DO NOT leave the second LPI connected to it, if you have a leak into the bladder you won't be able to tell which one is leaking and that is bad news on a deco dive. Your instructor should be able to assist with the finer details

2. Teric are lovely computers, if you like the watch form factor no reason to choose a Perdix over the Teric. If you aren't planning on helium, the new Peregrine would be worth having a look at, but you would sacrifice the transmitter option.

3. Most all regulators would be good, my personal preference is for the Deep6 regulator sets, bulletproof, inexpensive and very nice for side mount routing. Can also be serviced by any service tech (or yourself if you do a course) without warranty issues, which may be a benefit to you in Egypt.

4. Seaskin Nova drysuit is what I use, after a LOT of searching and comparing. the price vs features is hard to beat. If you are diving dry, then point 1 above falls away as you do not need a second bladder, your DS is your redundant buoyancy.

5. Deep 6 Eddy fins are by far the most comfortable foot pocket I have ever used, I have no experience of the Hollis fins to compare but have used most of the other jet type fins out there.

It seems your initial choices are very Hollis-centric, are you getting a decent discount on them or is there another reason for that, local supply maybe?

Wow, thanks for your quick and detailed feedback. I am currently in the states and I found a %15 off on hush outdoors brand which hollis happen to be one of them, hence the choice of hollis.

I only bought the BCD, but I am thinking of returning it and getting the single bladder version, since there is no point of having a second bladder as I will be diving dry. so you point is really convincing.

For the computer, yes I am planning to dive with helium later on, that's why I chose Teric, and for the dry suit and compression is really hard to beat as you said, the best I found in this price range was the bare x mission, dx 300x and waterproof d10 pro ISS, which I really can't decide which one to go for.

XDeep has a nice stealth tec sidemount rig. Which stealth did you learn on? Is the recreational rig you own an XDeep stealth?

I dive the stealth tec and like it, though I just dive recreationally. It seems well regarded on the board, even to the extent of being the default recommendation.

I also have deep6 regs and like them.

XDeep has a nice stealth tec sidemount rig. Which stealth did you learn on? Is the recreational rig you own an XDeep stealth?

I dive the stealth tec and like it, though I just dive recreationally. It seems well regarded on the board, even to the extent of being the default recommendation.
I learnt on stealth Tech, and the one I own isn't for side mount. it's hollis LX wing s series.

There is no question that X-deep is a well known brand which has variety of quality rigs, but I prefer hollis. it's personal preferences really.

I dove both the XDeep and now the Katana 2.
I personally prefer the K2 as I did not like the central rear dump at all.
As for the redundant bladder, If you have a drysuit or a lift bag, you don't need that 2nd bladder. It only creates more bulk, more failure point, and more gear to maintain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom