Buying my first U/W camera - Canon A570?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theslyfox01

Contributor
Reaction score
Brisbane, Australia. Though I'd rather be home in
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys, I'm off on a dive holiday later this week and would like to capture some memories on a digital camera, my budget is limited (say AUD800 which is around USD600) ..please bare in mind camera set-ups in Oz are far more expensive than in the US (much smaller market so higher prices.)

For $800 I can get the following package:

Canon A570
WP DC 12 Housing
1GB SD Memory Card
4 NiMH Batteries and Charger
Neoprene Camera Pouch (fits camera only)
Micro-Fibre Cleaning Cloth
Quick Release Safety Lanyard

Does anyone have any feedback on the A570? I could get a FujiFilm E900 and housing for $800 but it wouldn't come with all the extras (batterys/charger/memory etc) so I would really be stretching my budget to get the E900 underwater.

Any comments on the Canon setup for for a complete noob appreciated :coffee:

..I should mention I'm hoping to get some nice shots of wrecks as I'm going to Truk/Chuuk, but I don't know if such a low end camera will work at depth with subjects the size of wrecks.. macro stuff doesn't really turn me on (pity as that's what cameras are obviously best at.)

You have a few choices for saving $$$. ebay (a lot of local Aussie run ebay stores sell at much better prices than camera shops) you can also buy from the US - a cam with housing, SD card etc is often much cheaper (even shipped) than the local prices.

As for the Canon A series - coming from a fellow noob... They appear to be pretty good in terms of growing with you - you can use it in full auto mode as a point and shoot, or, of you choose to try and develop your skills, you can pretty much use the manual features to learn how this stuff works.

The Canon A series are great little cameras that will let you grow as you get into Underwater Photography more. I have and use the Canon A520 quite a bit.

Unfortunately, for wreck shots, you'll want a wide angle lens and that's a) going to be extra and b) may not fit the Canon housing if it has the oval port.

I know some people love the Fuji's but I sold mine pretty much right away, just didn't like it personally. I have a couple of friends who have Fujis and adore them -so much of this is personal preference. If you stretch your budget I have no doubt that the Fuji will work just fine for you, but again, you'll want a WAL for the wreck stuff.

Just for your info - camerahouse.com.au are having a sale, I am just about to buy an A640 for $349 ($449 retail), a full price housing is $250, and I'm sure I can get a discount for that too. seeing as the retail price for the a570 is the same, you may find a similar discount. I know they have stores in Melbourne. could save you enough money to help with a strobe - or, as alcina suggested, a wide angle lens...

Just remember, the extras are cheap - the microfibre cloth is the sort of thing you can get for free from your optometrist (if not, I'll send you one - I have many of them), I bought a 2gb SD card for $25 two months ago at Australia Post a rechargeable set of batteries and charger may set you back $30 at Dick Smith or Jaycar (or look online for better prices) A lanyard is the sort of thing that comes with the camera housing already - and a soft camera case can be found for $10 - $15 at Bing Lee, or probably $5 at your local markets. Spend the $$$ on stuff you actually want, rather than letting the sales guys convince you you are getting a great deal with stuff that is worth very little.

Thanks for all the info and suggestions guys, I investigated getting a wide angle lens but the cost was scary (almost as much as the entire package) I'll just stick with the basic model and see how I go. :)

I hunted around and got a better deal without the fluff (no lanyard/cleaning cloth)

-A570IS
-Battery and Charger Kit
-WP-DC12 Waterproof case
-Sandisk 4GB storage card

$690 delivered. (That's excluding (GST) Goods and Services Tax as I get it duty free when I leave the country.)

Mmmmmm toys! :D

Now there ya go! Good job! Hope to see your pics when you get back! Remember to practice topside - and remember to use manual white balance below the surface!

theslyfox01:
I hunted around and got a better deal without the fluff (no lanyard/cleaning cloth)

-A570IS
-Battery and Charger Kit
-WP-DC12 Waterproof case
-Sandisk 4GB storage card

$690 delivered. (That's excluding (GST) Goods and Services Tax as I get it duty free when I leave the country.)

Mmmmmm toys! :D

Back
Top Bottom