Buying my first Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Minky

New
Reaction score
hey guys i'm just getting into underwater photography and have been renting cameras on my dive trips and have finally the decided the time has come to buy one. but my problem is i just don't know where to start. i know i want a digital and i'm not going to be an expert pro photographer so it should be a somewhat easy camera to use but that's about all i know. i have about 1k to spend on the whole thing (including strobe). so my question is what camera would you say is the best bang for my buck? any advice will be greatly appreciated. thank you.

I'd probably go for a Canon G9, housing and an Inon D2000 strobe.

When I did my U/W Photographer course, my instructor loaned me his Canon A650, and I thought it was fantastic and have decided to get one on the basis that I'll buy something I used and liked rather than taking a chance on something else.

G9 is a very good option. But if you might also consider trading down to Canon A series, like 570IS or 720IS, then use the money for wide angle lens instead.

I'm using Canon A570IS, Ikelite housing and Inon WA Lens with Sea & Sea YS-90 strobe. It's a very nice setup for taking reef pictures. I also have the Inon lens caddy so I can take the WA lens out and shoot some macros.

I'm far from an expert but a couple months ago I was here looking for the same thing. After looking at pictures taken with the camera and seeing it suggested left and right I got a Canon A570 with Canon housing for myself. $307 total for the two. You can see my first pics with the camera in this same forum.

yeah i did some research on the board and it seems a lot of people like the g9. im thinking about it, it's housing and the s&s 750g strobe. how is the 750g strobe?

750G is the camera/housing type, not strobe type. For Sea & Sea strobe you probably looking at either YS-110 or YS-27DX.

YS-27 is a nice, cheap manual flash but you'll have to set the output manually. I'd definitely consider paying a little more for the Inon D2000. You won't be disappointed. The Inon's built in s-ttl set the flash output for you based on reading your camera's preflash. So you're not having to set it manually underwater.

Back
Top Bottom