Buying my first BP/W question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want to get a lighter bc for travel. Any suggestions?

Get and aluminum or titanium or a "want to be" titanium plate.
Or look at a freedom plate if you are diving single tank only.
I don't travel much but when I do I take my SS plate,

there is no steel plate, I want to get a lighter bc for travel. Any suggestions?
As Centrals said, the answer is to get an aluminium plate rather than a steel plate.

Nevertheless, in my opinion--and others have different opinions--a steel plate is the better choice for diving in a wetsuit with a single Al 80 tank, as the weight of the plate allows me to wear less lead. With a thin 3mm wetsuit, I need almost no lead at all.

This may be a lesser concern, but I also appreciate that the weight contributed by the backplate is on my back, i.e., aligned with my center of buoyancy, thereby helping me maintain horizontal trim. With a lightweight plate, I would need to carry lead in a less ptimal location for achieving horizontal trim, such as on a belt or in pockets. But again, this may be a lesser concern to most divers.

To be clear when I say steel plate I mean aluminum or SS or titanium. That is steel,
Composite or plastic is not steel,

You are correct, metal is a much better word.👍

Steel is an alloy made up of iron with typically a few tenths of a percent of carbon to improve its strength and fracture resistance compared to other forms of iron. Many other elements may be present or added. Stainless steels that are corrosion- and oxidation-resistant need typically an additional 11% chromium

You are correct, metal is a much better word.👍

Steel is an alloy made up of iron with typically a few tenths of a percent of carbon to improve its strength and fracture resistance compared to other forms of iron. Many other elements may be present or added. Stainless steels that are corrosion- and oxidation-resistant need typically an additional 11% chromium
We all know the actual meaning of steel plate for diving. SS plate is a lot shorter to type!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom