Buying Gloves For a Galapagos trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back. Jun 11-21. We had temps in the high 70s for all the islands. I had my 7 ml and a hood, 3ml gloves with kevlar. I was wishing I'd brought my 3ml and tropical gloves for some of the easier dives because even though I wasn't too warm it's just so much simpler.
I would not try the dry suit. Galapegos is not the place to try something new. I was even having issues with my new 7ml, just because it was new to me and I have over 150 dives, am a rescue diver and have dived in all sorts of situations. I actually dove my first 5-6 dives without a camera until I was comfortable I had my bouyancy, weights and brain worked out.
Have the trip of a lifetime and leave the dry suit at home. There is no helicopter to come get you on Darwin when you have an uncontrolled ascent and give yourself the bends!!!!

Hi again,
I think I am safer with the drysuit because I have aborted dives in low sixty degree water because of being cold. I am terribly prone to being cold because I am tall and thin. When most other people look comfortable, I am shivering.....it kinda stinks.....that is the whole reason I went ahead and bought the drysuit. I was afraid of spending thousands for the trip and hating the dives from being cold. I was also told that when we go in late June it is cold season down there and to expect temps to be in the low 60's......

As the previous poster said, have the manufacturer put on knee pads--that way it's not going to void your warranty and it will have been done properly. My suit is a DUI suit and they put on the pads before delivery.

Have you decided if you are flying into Guyaquil or Quito? We are going to Quito, but now I am nervous about missing the boat, so wondering if we should get over to Guyaquil before our trip (we are going out a week before our diving to go to the jungle and stay in the Andes).
I was told by our group leader that it's much better to go to Quito and not to worry about missing the boat.

I just got back. Jun 11-21. We had temps in the high 70s for all the islands. I had my 7 ml and a hood, 3ml gloves with kevlar. I was wishing I'd brought my 3ml and tropical gloves for some of the easier dives because even though I wasn't too warm it's just so much simpler.
I would not try the dry suit. Galapegos is not the place to try something new. I was even having issues with my new 7ml, just because it was new to me and I have over 150 dives, am a rescue diver and have dived in all sorts of situations. I actually dove my first 5-6 dives without a camera until I was comfortable I had my bouyancy, weights and brain worked out.
Have the trip of a lifetime and leave the dry suit at home. There is no helicopter to come get you on Darwin when you have an uncontrolled ascent and give yourself the bends!!!!

I was starting to think that my 5mm might not be warm enough but it sounds like it'll be just fine. Although I'm a little worried that with the warmer temps the whale sharks might stay away. My flight to ecuador leaves tomorrow!

I guess you're gone already, but I think a 5mm will be fine. That's what I wore. I brought a 3/5 hooded vest and never even used it. Maybe you'll see whale sharks. Tracy's group did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom