Buying at drysuit at a dive show

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JRRKAR

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm considering buying a drysuit from my LDS. I'm getting a little discount because I am currently in a DM class. But my question is....did anyone consider buying a drysuit from a LDS and then go to a dive show like Beneath The Sea, only to find a much better deal on the same suit directly from the reps?

Obviously the reps at the show might give a great discount for a few suits that they having remaining in inventory, or previous orders that went bad. But for the suit I was looking at (mainly OS suits at this time), it seems that a few LDS on the web are showing the same purchase price, which is the same as what is shown on the OS home page for Suggested Retail price. I know some companies out there do not allow the LDS to advertise a lower price, and I'm guessing OS is one of them.

Anyone have have past experinces to share?

Jeff

JRRKAR:
I'm considering buying a drysuit from my LDS. I'm getting a little discount because I am currently in a DM class. But my question is....did anyone consider buying a drysuit from a LDS and then go to a dive show like Beneath The Sea, only to find a much better deal on the same suit directly from the reps?

Obviously the reps at the show might give a great discount for a few suits that they having remaining in inventory, or previous orders that went bad. But for the suit I was looking at (mainly OS suits at this time), it seems that a few LDS on the web are showing the same purchase price, which is the same as what is shown on the OS home page for Suggested Retail price. I know some companies out there do not allow the LDS to advertise a lower price, and I'm guessing OS is one of them.

Anyone have have past experinces to share?

Jeff

Think about it Jeff, you're doing a DM program with your LDS and you go out and buy a suit from some one else, how do you think they'll react? I myself would show a little bit of loyalty to the shop I'm dealing with and pay the little higher price rather then save a couple of dollars. Or at lest talk to them, and give them a chance to match the price. You'll find that the loyalty that you show to them will come back to you many times over in the future, so develope that bond, and you'll be much happier in the long run.

We got our dry suits at DEMA 4 years ago. They were good suits and I believe they were the latest model not an overstock item. Unfortunately there was some sort of patent issue on the fabric (or so we were told) that held up the delivery of the suits for a year after we ordered them. I was told the suit retailed for $1200, we paid $350 for them. The only reason we bought them was because of the price, we had no intention of learning to dive dry until we were told about that deal so no shop was screwed out of a sale. One of the guys who bought one never even dove in it, he kept it a couple of years and when he never had time to take a dry suit class he went ahead and sold the suit.

Hardhat has a good point, some shops get upset when you buy elsewhere and I can understand that. I don't mind paying a little more for stuff to keep money in my local economy but if the shop can't even get close to the price or isn't willing to work some sort of deal in exchange for me paying them a lot more for an item than I would somewhere else (maybe they could discount some training) then I shop elsewhere.

Good luck!
Ber :lilbunny:

hardhat:
Think about it Jeff, you're doing a DM program with your LDS and you go out and buy a suit from some one else, how do you think they'll react? I myself would show a little bit of loyalty to the shop I'm dealing with and pay the little higher price rather then save a couple of dollars. Or at lest talk to them, and give them a chance to match the price. You'll find that the loyalty that you show to them will come back to you many times over in the future, so develope that bond, and you'll be much happier in the long run.

Or, wait until you've finished instructor training (after DM, yes indeed...but maybe worth the wait) and buy it at a keyman price. :)

I'm not an instructor, but a friend who recently became one has told some great stories about discounts he's received.

I, of course, have to pay retail, with whatever discount I can negotiate. :wink:

A trade show like DEMA is going to be different from a consumer show like BTS since most "reputable" manufacturers/distributors usually won't give any really knockout deals at consumer shows since that would be underselling their dealers. At a trade show the assumption is that attendees are all industry "insiders" and hence it is ok to offer them wholesale+ deals.

Ber Rabbit:
We got our dry suits at DEMA 4 years ago.

I agree with you Hardhat, but I also didn't mention that I was looking at two suits, one for me and one for my wife. So the cost/savings is double. I try to support my LDS as much as possible, but sometimes you just have to look out for yourself with a major purchase. Looking on the web about DEMA and BTS, there is a BIG difference. DEMA is NOT a trade show. It is a show for LDS, buisnesses, and dive profesionals (i.e. Instructors,AI,DM). BTS IS a trade show, meaning it is open to the public. So I didn't expect that deals at BTS would be anywhere near as good as DEMA. As Oxyhacker stated, the people in the shows involved are at opposite sides of the dive spectrum.

I did just find out about the keyman price. Obviously, the LDS has to watch out for themselves in regards to pricing for different individual levels (i.e. Instructors,DM's and the Open Water Students). If the LDS gave a huge discount for DM, I'm sure many people would go through the class, get the discount and then never agree to help the shop out all. It just kind of sucks sometimes, when you are trying to help out the LDS as a DM, but you can't get the "best" price available. I'm 99.9% sure I will purchase the two suits through the LDS at 10% of retail, but I just wanted to hear any past experiences from anyone you went to BTS and considered a purchase, and just how that price compared to the LDS price. Like I said, sometimes you have to look out for yourself first, or at least find out what other prices are out there.

Jeff

JRRKAR:
I agree with you Hardhat, but I also didn't mention that I was looking at two suits, one for me and one for my wife. So the cost/savings is double. I try to support my LDS as much as possible, but sometimes you just have to look out for yourself with a major purchase. Looking on the web about DEMA and BTS, there is a BIG difference. DEMA is NOT a trade show. It is a show for LDS, buisnesses, and dive profesionals (i.e. Instructors,AI,DM). BTS IS a trade show, meaning it is open to the public. So I didn't expect that deals at BTS would be anywhere near as good as DEMA. As Oxyhacker stated, the people in the shows involved are at opposite sides of the dive spectrum.

I did just find out about the keyman price. Obviously, the LDS has to watch out for themselves in regards to pricing for different individual levels (i.e. Instructors,DM's and the Open Water Students). If the LDS gave a huge discount for DM, I'm sure many people would go through the class, get the discount and then never agree to help the shop out all. It just kind of sucks sometimes, when you are trying to help out the LDS as a DM, but you can't get the "best" price available. I'm 99.9% sure I will purchase the two suits through the LDS at 10% of retail, but I just wanted to hear any past experiences from anyone you went to BTS and considered a purchase, and just how that price compared to the LDS price. Like I said, sometimes you have to look out for yourself first, or at least find out what other prices are out there.

Jeff

I agree with you Jeff, be informed, but keep in mind that there are times when looking out for some-one else's best interests (your LDS) works out being in your best interest as well. That's my experience anyway, and in the long run I've come out looking pretty good.

hardhat:

No, I don't think so. The LDS isn't a NPO (non-profit organization). They are doing business like any other retail shops. They are doing business for their living. If you find the LDS that doesn't have any business mind, then buy everything from them.
You never get the better price from elsewhere. But, in real world, it is not easy to meet such kind of LDS. Why do you think that your LDS offers the diving class? Some LDS used to say that they can’t make any profits from the class. I am not sure if it is true or not. At least, it is not true to my LDS in Indiana based on my experience. I think I can be a rich man soon if I can do the business in the same way. Most LDS expects that students can be a potential buyers for their shop. So, student used to get the pressure or tempted by the instructor (mostly loyalty) or shop owner. I am not sure if there is some commission after studnet buying the stuff after the class.

My point is that some people above DM status used to express too much loyalty to their LDS in the wrong way.

Come on please!

In my perspectives, it is just flattery, sycophancy, adulation, and toadyism rather than loyalty. If then, why does DM have to do? For what?

1. Get 10% discount compared to open water class students.
2. Get hired and make some extra money while you are diving with newbies.
3. Get a free air, dive, and add up your log numbers to show up.
4. Get loafing around LDS because you can’t find any other place
5. Get ready to take exam and passed with a favor for DM training.
6. Get a free trip when LDS goes out somewhere with their trip customers.

If you get the discount, don’t think that your LDS try to make up from other customers? So, you are happy about that because it isn’t your money.

Don’t you know that more than 90 % of divers are interested in professional diving status? If then, the Scuba market should be oriented for non-professional diving population.

Do you think that such kind of weird chain-relationship (called loyalty) is good for the diving world and market in the long run? Whenever I observed that scene, I am getting sick of it.

If you become a free rider for the trip, do you think who is going to pay for your share? That must be your group members. Are you proud of yourself?

If you aren’t a retard or dolt on the internet, you can easily find out the market price for the equipment.

Bing Go! You already proved that you aren’t a dumb by using this board. You know how to suft internet.

Do you think that there is only couple of dollar disparity between LDSs? I find $350 difference in White dry suit and $150 difference in SP wetsuit in my area. If you don’t care that much money, you don’t need to butter up your local shop at first. You just get trained what you paid for.

It is really old and stupid way to support for your LDS with the loyalty. Eventually, it ruins your LDS and scuba world. If you really support for your LDS, you should let them know how market is changed. They should provide better price and service to survive in business. If you don’t know what I am talking about, look at the “Scubatoy.” It is one of good examples in this board.

Safe Dive

hoosier

Back
Top Bottom