Buying at BH, NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divinglife

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm looking into purchasing the Canon S400 with the underwater casing (parents want a good digital, I want a housing!! hehe). I was thinking of getting it at BH Photo in NY since their prices are so good. Does anyone know if you are able to get the manufacturer warranty if you purchase at BH. I realize they are very "grey marketish". What kind of warranties are there to protect the camera in case of housing flooding???
THanks.

divinglife once bubbled...
I'm looking into purchasing the Canon S400 with the underwater casing (parents want a good digital, I want a housing!! hehe). I was thinking of getting it at BH Photo in NY since their prices are so good. Does anyone know if you are able to get the manufacturer warranty if you purchase at BH. I realize they are very "grey marketish". What kind of warranties are there to protect the camera in case of housing flooding???
THanks.

BH photovideo is one of the largest dealers in NYC if not the country.. The do have some greay market stuff but they are factory authorized for many manufacturers.. In fact you can usually get either a "grey market version" or the full US version (at a slightly higher cost) its up to you..

They also make deals with manufactures buying huge lots of a specific item and get incredible pricing.. I remeber a few years back when I bough my first DV camcorder.. I bought the "Broadcast" version with full US warranty over $500 cheaper than the consumer version was going for, and almost $1000 cheaper than anyone else had it..

If your camera floods no warranty that I know of will cover it(a few used to have no questions asked warranties).. You have to take out flood insurance on it.. (although If your camera is "lost" or "stolen" spme CC will cover the purchase for a year or more)

I bought two Ikelite DS125's from BHP last week. I ordered Tuesday and they arrived on my door (in the UK) on Friday.

I presume the Guarantee will most probably be viod, although knowing how good Ikelite's customer service is, I doubt it'd be a problem if something went pear shaped.

The saving for me, compared to UK prices, was massive - GBP312 PER strobe!!! My view is that I'd rather save the cash and take my chances with something going wrong.

I use B&H all the time - I even buy all of my film from them and have it Fedex'd to Thailand - its still cheaper (and easier!!) than trying to buy it locally.

I have never had any problems with them.

Another company I have found very reliable and cost effective is Cathy Church.

B&H Photo ? does not have best prices but are very reputable and have many items in stock, like say most accessories for a particular Powershot.

I occassionally do business with them and am quite happy.

I have made 6 or 7 orders with B&H over the last 5 years. They have always come thru as advertized and I have never had a problem.

They are BIG so don't expect a Mom & Pop type of dealing. They are not really personable but you can count on them as far as my experience has been.

Usually the only companies that beat their prices are companies with a lot of complaints on file. Not worth the chance to me.

Good luck!

I have made several purchases at B&H over the past year and only wish I had discovered them earlier.

They say that they are the largest photo store in the world, and they probably are, plus I am also very impressed with their staff...their knowledge of the products is second to none...

If you get a chance visit their store in NYC. It is a real interesting experience!

scubamax

I really like B&H. Their website is very easy to use and they tell you up front if product is USA or grey market. In particular, once the order is placed you can track shipping by UPS number.

A few weeks ago I ordered film from them and it arrived in three days by UPS.

For the combination of price and reliability it is hard to beat B&H. You will find cheaper prices using a low price search engine, but if the price sounds too good to be true it usually is! I once had to return a $700 item to them which was accomplised with no problems. B& H is fast and reliable, and you can order from them with confidence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom