buying a second hand camera; where to look at

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sonar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I just agreed on a price for a Conon S90 with the canon WP-DC35 housing (250euro). I am going to pick it up this Sunday. Where should I look at when testing the camera?

I will put it in a bucket of water, check the camera for scratches (especcially the lens) etc. but are there more specific things to look at? There is of course no way to check if the casing withstands the pressure at 40m but then again; if it doesn't the seller won't know because the camera would be broken as well (right?)

take care & thx

First dive or two, leave the camera on the boat, but take the housing down. Fill the housing with tissue paper - you'll soon identify any leaks. If so, no harm done.

If you don't plan to dive that deep soon, just sink the housing on a line (make sure your knots are good).

Reactions: Jax
sorry, forgot to mention I have to pick it up somewhere in the city. Don't think that lady allows me to sink it in the channel :D

Basically I can just try some stuff for a few minutes

Take a magnifying glass and check the sealing surfaces carefully. Check the lens glass for chips - they won't show up underwater but will above water, if you use your camera in the case above water. Push the buttons up and down and feel for grabbing binding. That is all indications the case wasn't maintained well. Once you get it, clean and lube all the buttons and such.

Read this link if you buy it: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/canon-corner/315202-canon-housing-leaks-easy-diy-fix.html

BTW, the only thing you can't fix with maintenance and new O-rings is a flawed / scratched mating surface, and actual cracks.

sorry, forgot to mention I have to pick it up somewhere in the city. Don't think that lady allows me to sink it in the channel :D

Basically I can just try some stuff for a few minutes

Negotiate a return policy/agreement, should it fail a subsequent detailed inspection/test.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom