Buying a compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paladin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Lately, I've been thinking about buying a compressor, probably next spring. The owner of the only LDS around here that I'll do business with is thinking about moving to South Carolina and I really don't want to have to go to the others for air. Since I'm pretty much self-sufficient as far as regulator maintenance and such anyway, the idea of going completely solo is beginning to look more attractive.

I only need something that will fill up to an AL80 and I would prefer one with an electric motor. What's out there on the market that is relatively economical to buy and maintain but still offers decent performance and reliability?

I haven't used very many small portable compressors. The midsize Bauers have been more reliable than the other oil-lubricated compressors in my limited sphere of visibility. Parts availability is good. In today's economy, you may be able to get a used 3 HP midsize compressor for less than a portable 1 HP — if you have 240VAC single phase available.

Will you install a cascade system or pump direct?

I haven't used very many small portable compressors. The midsize Bauers have been more reliable than the other oil-lubricated compressors in my limited sphere of visibility. Parts availability is good. In today's economy, you may be able to get a used 3 HP midsize compressor for less than a portable 1 HP — if you have 240VAC single phase available.

Will you install a cascade system or pump direct?

I'll just pump direct, at least at first. I want a 110vac model, because it can be plugged in just about anywhere. We do a lot of camping and all the campgrounds we go to have 110vac outlets. I have 220 here at home but I would still prefer 110.

There is a gentleman on scubaboard that sells through ebay. He has been selling compressors and such for years. I have dealt with him personally. Model he sells are Coltri, they are a nice light duty use. I think personally that you would be better off with a gas model though. It's nice to have the portability of a unit, but as always personal preference.

TG

Just about any small compressor will be 3HP 220 volts. If you want portability gas is the way to go. Bauer is the Mercedes of small compressors, then Alkin, Coulti Sub, converted military surplus Stewart Warner, Walter Kidde or Cornelius. The military surplus compressors would be the most likely electric powered compressors that are easily portable and can run on 110V.

2010 Aerotecnica Coltri - Portable Compressors Index

Alkin USA, Alkin, compressor, high, pressure, breathing, air, compressor

Scuba Diving Compressors Air Compressor | BAUER Compressors

Shelden Sporting Goods Inc. - High Pressure Air Compressors

Just a note, there is a compressor specific forum on this board. Ray hangs out in there along with tons of posts to review and you can search the forum for more information.

I'll just pump direct, at least at first. I want a 110vac model, because it can be plugged in just about anywhere. We do a lot of camping and all the campgrounds we go to have 110vac outlets. I have 220 here at home but I would still prefer 110.

There are 3HP 110VAC single phase compressors available (Max-Air) but they require a 30 amp or better circuit so pluging them into a standard socket (15 amp) will not work. Best to go with a 220Volt or Gas unit.

ZDD

I'm gonna promote the one I use - RIX SA-6 oil-less. Very low maintenance - no oil or oil residue scrubbing needed - good fill rate. Mine is gas but 220V single phase is an option. Retail cost new is high but they come up used for $3K plus or minus. Sometimes quite a bit less if you can do a little upkeep. They make a lower-rated model (SA-3?) but I don't know how they compare. Apparently the navy used the SA-6 so they are around.

Back
Top Bottom