Buyer's remorse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hedonist222

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I moved from a Scuba Pro Hydros Pro (about 150 dives) to a xDeep Zen Deluxe.

Two things dawned on me.
One
I dont need that much lift. I'm 6'1 and weigh about 171 lbs.
Without my spare 30 cuft tank, I need about a pound or two of weight.
With the 30 cuft, I am slightly negatively bouyant.

When I dived with the Hydros and with my current Zen. I have a little air at the beginning, then towards about 130 bar, I purge air.

My coldest diving is temps of 73 Fahrenheit where I wear a 3mm and hoodie.
There is no cold water diving in the UAE - 23 celcius is as cold as it will get.
In summer I wear a rash guard.

Two
The xDeep backplate appears to be very proprietary - meaning I cannot switch to another wing as easily (because the xDeep backplate doesn't have slots for the tank camband).

Not a huge issue. Once a year I'll make a purchase with little prior research.
Its ok. I provision to accept that I may not have made the best choice and will sell it off.

I can always sell the xDeep and pick up an OMS or Tecline.

Thoughts?

I had a Halcyon wing AND backplate that didn’t have camband slots. You just use a single tank adapter.

If you are saying that the Xdeep zen is too negative then just get the Xdeep aluminum plate. I also went from the Hydros to the Xdeep and I find the Xdeep much better than the Hydros. Or are you saying that the wing traps air for you?

I had a Halcyon wing AND backplate that didn’t have camband slots. You just use a single tank adapter.

Yeah I get that.
But that goes back to xDeep being proprietary. Whereas bp/w as a concept was, as I understand it, supposed to be generally cross-brand compatible.

I was considering another branded wing to forgo the single tank adapter I have now to reduce some weight.
But those wings wouldn't bolt on to the xDeep wing.

Im not complaining. I decided to go with the xDeep with the little research that I did.

I wouldn’t call a lack of camband slots proprietary when other brands do the same thing. It’s not like DUI’s zip seals, which are definitely proprietary.

If you are saying that the Xdeep zen is too negative then just get the Xdeep aluminum plate. I also went from the Hydros to the Xdeep and I find the Xdeep much better than the Hydros. Or are you saying that the wing traps air for you?

I have the alum plate :)

I'm saying that I didnt need a 20kg wing lift
I rarely have more than a squirt of air in the wing and then purge that half way through the dive

I could've gotten an 10 kg OMS or Tecline 10 kg lift wing instead of the Zen

Yeah I get that.
But that goes back to xDeep being proprietary. Whereas bp/w as a concept was, as I understand it, supposed to be generally cross-brand compatible.

I was considering another branded wing to forgo the single tank adapter I have now to reduce some weight.
But those wings wouldn't bolt on to the xDeep wing.

Im not complaining. I decided to go with the xDeep with the little research that I did.

You can always sell it and buy something else.

Why not get the DGX single wing and a STA and you can put that on your XDeep

I moved from a Scuba Pro Hydros Pro (about 150 dives) to a xDeep Zen Deluxe.

Two
The xDeep backplate appears to be very proprietary - meaning I cannot switch to another wing as easily (because the xDeep backplate doesn't have slots for the tank camband).

Not a huge issue. Once a year I'll make a purchase with little prior research.
Its ok. I provision to accept that I may not have made the best choice and will sell it off.

I can always sell the xDeep and pick up an OMS or Tecline.

Thoughts?

A single tank adapter can be very handy.

Above post already mentioned while I was typing.

Back
Top Bottom