Buy underwater housing for digicam or ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2ODoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are beginner divers and want to take back some pics from an upcoming Cozumel trip. We're not photographers, but enjoy taking pics and looking at them when we get back.

We have a Canon A510 digital camera point and shoot. Would you recommend the $175 underwater housing for our trip or should we rent a camera down there (I'm assuming I can rent a Sea&Sea or something?). I'm guessing rental costs would be $30/day or something.

Will the A510 take decent enough (subjective, I know) pics?

Thanks!

Get the Canon housing.

Yes, that set up will allow you to bring back some good images :)

First and foremost concentrate on your diving and only think about your camera if everything is going perfectly. Otherwise, skip thinking about taking photos on the dive. Maybe hand the camera off to your dive guide or a more experienced, willing diver.

Have a look at the Pink Link in my signature for lots of getting started tips and tricks that will help you bring back keepers from your first few tries!

Post when you get back!

Thanks Alcina. We have about 10 total dives, so that advice about focussing (pun) on diving instead of the camera is a good one. On our OW dive class, I asked the instructor if it would be OK on our 2nd day to bring a camera and she said "sure, no problem". Even so, I only took pics when we were on the bottom waiting for the class to descend.

I'll order up the camera body and pack a lot of batteries. I'll also bring the manual with me to read on the plane.

Underwater housing

I bought my Canon housing from Amazon. Learn to use manual settings on your camera, to do things like force the flash on. You might want to leave the camera behind on the first couple of dives, until you have the routine down, along with bouyency. Things change when going to the tropics, unless that is what you are used to diving. Have fun!

H2ODOC: I second (or third) opinion on buying canon housing. You might want to take a white piece of plastic with you aswell (anything goes.. I have a piece of broken sunchair with some rubber band). to use manual white balance. But as alcina said concentrate on diving first. In order to get nice shots (and not to damage reef while taking them) bouyancy needs to become second nature for you.

Why are you packing loads of batteries? Buy recharger with one set of spare batteries so that you have one set inside your camera and the other reloading/ready to go.

Looking forward to seeing some of your shots after the trip :)

Back
Top Bottom