Buy either of these two...LX5 or XZ-1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

burnerking

Registered
Reaction score
Right, I've finally got down to two models, the Lumix LX5 and Oly XZ-1 and now I can't decide between the two.

I'm just starting to get into underwater photography so I need a camera or both land and sea. Not sure how technical I'll get so maybe a camera I can 'grow' with will be good but at the same time, one that is good straight off the bat both underwater and on land (i think both LX5 and XZ-1 do this).

Underwater housings - which model has the best 'cheap' but functionally sound housing.

I've read the board umpteen times but still can't make my mind up!!

Any thoughts?

Right, I've finally got down to two models, the Lumix LX5 and Oly XZ-1 and now I can't decide between the two....
I've read the board umpteen times but still can't make my mind up!!?
Rather than repeat everything all over again that has already been discussed, what specific information do you need to help you decide?

I own an LX-5 and have a XZ-1 on order.

The problem with the LX-5 is that you have to buy a more expensive housing.. there is no OEM one... but the Ikelite is reasonable.

Love the camera, and one could do a lot worse... and add on lens work with it.

The Oly...well they have a really nice housing....I understand it is better than the Ike housing...

I like the camera and might pick it over the LX-5....but the plus and minus are different and actually pretty small.

As underwater has pointed out, the devil is in the details.

Do you care about adding wide angle enhancements, either through dry or wet solutions? If so, as it stands, you have more choice for the LX-5, since there might be problems or limitations using existing solutions with the OEM housing for the XZ-1. It's still early though, so it is conceivable that this will not hold in the future.

Back
Top Bottom