Busy weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefGuy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After 8 months of being on the dive team and only one callout, we got two in this weekend.

First was called in by a fisherman, an eagle talon had gone into a canal. Car was sitting smack dab in the middle, parallel to to the shore. Looks like it had been there for a week or so. Wildbill was on shore for tender/gator spotter with his AR15, while the dive team leader and I went in the water. No bodies, but there was a pair of coveralls floating in the top of the car (apparently the car was owned by a housepainter) that gave me a maalox moment :). Hardest thing about the recovery was the 300 yard walk in full gear through soft sand (temp was 95 degrees, water temp 92); that and the tow truck got stuck in it.

Other call was on a SUV in yet another canal. This one had drifted out and settled about 150' from shore. They let me swim the chains out to it. Afterwards: "yeah, we've got a float for that, but we figured you'd like to do it the old fashoned way". Gee thanks. Fortunately, I know that the asst leader does not do well on boats, and has a certain reaction to innocent retching noises. I'm off probation in 4 months :).

Good job and I'm glad you had a safe Malox moment. :D

Gary D.

Back
Top Bottom