Burnout

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Time after time we have talked about the high burnout in this business.

Some burnout because all they do is training and never get used while others burnout because of too much use. Some burnout because of the lack of activity and others because of the overwhelming amount of activity.

Burnout can creep up slowly or hit someone like a ton of bricks. It can cause a minor amount of repairable damage or it can ruin someone for life.

Dive Teams are unlike SWAT type teams where the team responds to not take a life but save one or more. But those teams have the image of wasting the bad guy and shooting everyone in their sights.

But in reality SWAT type teams save countless lives and rarely take one.

The Dive Team on the other hand rarely deals with a living victim or a victim that can be saved even though we try our hardest. It is one death after another and they are always in various stages of decomposition.

Who are the most at risk? All of us are and nobody is immune from a breakdown. It seems the more compassionate and caring you are about people the more you are at risk.

It can only take as little as one infant, small child, toddler or teen to turn your life upside down. Or it may take a dozen adults to start the self-questioning downward spiral to destruction.

The important thing is how you and your teammates deal with it and more importantly how soon it’s detected.

The team needs to be close nit. You need to know each other and how each reacts to various situations and how they normally act after an operation.

You don’t need to socialize with each other but you need to work well together, feel the others pain and join in on the healing process because very few will ever know what a PSD goes through.

Please folks do not hold it in and get any help you can. Nobody is going to think you’re a nut case for going and getting professional help if your team isn’t enough.

Gary D.

I wonder if burn-out is affected by burn-in, the way we are introduced to the work?

The Team Coordinator (TC) we have does some after training talks. We suffer, unlike Gary D's team, with a low training turnout. A weak point in the team but as I think I've already mentioned, we have several strong points. So the training is an anomoly in the team. "More Training" is a common comment. So far I think we average 5-10 calls a year. Chuck can correct me.

A couple weeks ago, during training, I "recoverd" a mannikin. For a few moments I let myself relax and think through how I would feel if this were a real victem. The cloudy water hid the plastic sheen of the skin and the hair was floating naturally. My first thought was "let's get you home". So I may be one of those sensative types at risk. My second thought was about "visiting" the person that would have put her down here, so maybe not. :wink:

Gary, something to consider for your team. A while back a friend of my had his father pass away. The funeral home, in early December after the event, had a service and invited everyone who had a death in the family that year. Near Christmas seems to be a bad time for us. It was for me. But my friend said the service really helped. Maybe you could schedule something near the end of the year to cover the losses and help your team members reach any final closure they need before going into the Christmas season? As busy as you guys seem to be, maybe even quarterly?

leam

Gary:

I was thinking about you and your team this evening! My wife, kid (home grown dive buddy) and I went to the new movie "RV." There was a sequence that caused me to think aboutt you and your team. It is a great movie...and you will recognize the sequence as soon as you see it.

Gary,
You are wise beyond your years!! Our team is very closed knit and all members are good listeners as well as good talkers. With our recent episode in change of leadership, a lot of phone calls and adult type beverages have been consumed. Our "season" is just now coming into full swing. We've have 9 call outs under our weight belts so far this year. Wwith the weather here in Cali just starting to warm up, our calls will go up. I have read with much interest, your lastest bout of calls and you have been in my prayers each and every night. It is a tough thing we do, but I look at it this way, if I/we don't do it, who will? I try to rationalize it by help bringing an end to a family's suffering when they lose someone in a water enviroment. Talking with teammates and an understanding spouse does help.

You will be in my prayers my friend!

Paul

ItsBruce:
Gary:

I was thinking about you and your team this evening! My wife, kid (home grown dive buddy) and I went to the new movie "RV." There was a sequence that caused me to think aboutt you and your team. It is a great movie...and you will recognize the sequence as soon as you see it.
Thanks, we just got back from seeing it. We laughed through about 75% of it.

Which sequence? The poo getting hosed off or the lake scene? :D

Thanks again for the tip. :D

Gary D.

Guess I'm gonna have to go see that one!

Back
Top Bottom