Buoyancy Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason B

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I hope you guys don't mind me coming in here to ask a question. Yesterday my LDS had a buoyancy clinic which I attended. It was basically a course of PVC diamonds to swim through. You had to stop and hover in the diamond and perform a skill (not a DIR-F class but maybe a step in the right direction for PADI since skills weren't performed kneeling). Visibility was only about 5 feet so visual references were not there. We did not have to do a mask removal, but we did have to do a full mask flood. This is the only place I had a problem. I found that my body would rise and about 3-4 feet on this one skill every-time. Even though visibility was bad, as long as I could see, I could tell if I was rising or falling in the water column because the water color changed (more light near surface made the water lighter and of course as you descend less light penetrates so the water gets darker). When my mask is fully flooded I have my eyes closed so I can't see this water color change. As soon as the mask is cleared I would find myself 3-4 feet higher in the water column. I realize that many of you have had to perform all these skills in an overhead environment where you don't have the luxury of even seeing the water column change color because there is no sunlight. Any tips from the DIR guys on this skill.

When you approach any underwater task with anxiety, you'll often find yourself inhaling just before performing the task. Plus, you tense up your body. This is why OOA drills and other reaction drills often wind up with the participants rising.

Its a mental thing. Zen thing? The solution involves relaxing, not inhaling just before the task, and increasing your situational awareness while performing the task. All those things, by the way, come with practice. It's not only a matter of how often you dive. Its how you dive what you dive - going on numerous dives specifically to practice these things with your buddy. Relaxation in high task load situations comes with time and practice. No other way to get better than continue to work on them.

Doc

you'll often find yourself inhaling just before performing the task
Bingo! I specifically remember saying to myself as I began the skill "better go ahead and get a good breath of air".
Anxiety and task loading-I knew they'd pop up. Thanks for the comments Doc, and practice I will.

Excellent reply by Doc Intrepid. Spend sometime on your dives with your mask off and get used to breathing as normally as you do when the mask is on. Training yourself to breath consistently is important to perfect bouyancy control.

Also when working on mask clearing; is it really critical to clear the mask with one large blast? :06:

Of course not. The problem is, too many divers don't know this. They have been taught to take a huge breath so they have plenty of air to clear with in one huge blast that could clear the mask four times or more.

Pay attention to your ears. You can feel the pressure change if your depth changes. Even on a full mask removal and replacement I think I only moved about 2' my first try. I felt myself going up, exhaled, started to come down, and levelled out. Just gotta pay attention, and as everyone else stated, take your time and relax, this is the most critical part.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom