bungeed wings....????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajoh44

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I just purchased my first BP/W and tried it out this weekend. It has a large (75#) wing on it. Yes, I know it is too big for me (I dive singles), but I got it cheap and am using it for now.
It came with some "bungee straps" that go around the wing. They are easily taken off and on. I know nothing about them and just put them on because they were there and I thought I was supposed to. I noticed that air got trapped in the wing at times and I really had to wiggle around to get it out. Should I just take them off or is there some air dumping trick I don't know. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.
Jo

This one's really going to start a riot, Joh!

If you leave the bungies on, you'll continue to encounter the problem you just described.

If you take them off, you're going to become a victim of the "taco wing" effect.

To quote the immortal Bart Simpson, "Damned if ya do, damned if ya don't . . ."

the K

Guess I haven't experienced the "taco wing" effect. What is that? Since my wing is too large, can I just bungie the lower half? I really don't know what I'm doing.

Does it need to be bungied? I can easily take them off.

scubajoh44:
Does it need to be bungied? I can easily take them off.
My answer would be to buy the proper wing for singles tanks and get rid of the thing you got.

Well....that brings up another question. I thought about that. I looked at how it was all together and it seems to easily come apart except for one thing. There is a dump valve pull from the right shoulder down to the chest that is sewn into the shoulder pad. It's hard to explain, but I don't see a way to get the string loose without cutting it.

(There is a 6" tube sewn to the pad that the string runs through and the ball on the end of the string)

scubajoh44,

That the $200 setup? #75 is huge, I hope you aren't diving singles with it.

Leave the bungies on and do a bit more wiggling about to move the air through.

Considering the price you paid, you still have enough to get a dedicated singles wing and it may still be cheaper that a Oxycheq or DSS rig in the first place LOL!
Keep the wing if you are ever going to do doubles... you never know.

SangP

Yup. It is the $200 setup.

I'm sure I will eventually get a smaller wing. And yes, the wing is huge. I had one person say it looked like I was laying on a pillow in the water. lol.

I dive singles with a 50lb doubles wing...no bungees. i do get taco tank but have learnt to compensate for it. it's not really that hard to deal with. if air happens to move more into one wing than the other and i start tilting, i just roll over onto the other side and force half the air back into the other wing. it works quite well actually.

mind you, a 75lb wing is HUGE. i'd probably stick to the bungees for now and wiggle.

i know i will get a singles wing eventually, but i got a killer deal on the doubles wing so i went for it. until i have the funds to buy another (35lb singles) wing, i'll use the 50lb. but you may want to consider getting a proper singles wing at some point in the near future.

i'm no wing expert though. just my thoughts.

So I'm guessing that a #35 wing would suit me fine...??? I might start shopping around.

What about my little dump valve problem? ^^^^

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom