Bungee style Stage/deco cylinder rigging?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nielsent

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I keep reading about and seeing in videos this sidemount stage rigging that involves using bungee. It is highly promoted by dive rite and Edd Sorensen of Cave Adventures. I was wondering is someone would be able to provide me with a parts list and instructions on how to build one for my rig. I would be interested in seeing how it works.

Thanks for your help in this matter all,

-- nielsent

Looking at the post, the OP is trying to use the Edd Sorenson rigging for stages in sidemount diving.

Here's a video by Lamar Hires...

Sidemount Scuba Diving How To Set Up Nomad Stage Bottles: Dive Rite - YouTube

The video shows a diver in an Optima, but the riging works great with a sidemount rig.

Okay, yes DA that is what I am talking about. The question is, what materials do you need and how do they go together to make the rigging for the stage/deco bottle? What size bungee and how long for the top and bottom? What kind of knots are used? What kind of clips? I thought I saw a quick link in there too on the top bungee, how does that work? Other than mentioning that the bottom connection needs to be much higher than normal, there is little put into how the parts on the tank are assembled.

-- nielsent

Okay, yes DA that is what I am talking about. The question is, what materials do you need and how do they go together to make the rigging for the stage/deco bottle? What size bungee and how long for the top and bottom? What kind of knots are used? What kind of clips? I thought I saw a quick link in there too on the top bungee, how does that work? Other than mentioning that the bottom connection needs to be much higher than normal, there is little put into how the parts on the tank are assembled.

-- nielsent

Parts list:

worm clamp
1 foot of 1/4 inch shock cord
2 bolt snaps, choose size by your preference

Total cost can be less than $20.

The position of the worm clamp will vary on the distance from your butt plate connection point to your chest d-ring. Mine is about 16 inches from the bottom of the stage cylinder. Cut the shock cord in half. Fold one piece in half and loop one of the bolt snaps through it. Tie a knot on the other end. Any knot works. You just need something to hold the cord in place. Tighten the worm clamp in place with the cord and bolt snap under it. You don't need much cord on the bolt snap side. The less the better. If you are looking down at the valve with the knob at 3 o-clock, place the bolt snap at about 7:30. This will position the 1st stage so you can read the SPG. Fold the other piece of cord in half and loop the other bolt snap through it. Tie a basic knot at the loose end. Place the cord over the valve. You don't need a quick link. Once the cylinder is clipped on it stays in place without one. A quick link doesn't do much.

Dive Gear Express also sells the complete set up to rig your tanks for sidemount.

I use the 1.5 in tank straps at the bottom instead of the worm clamps though because I've had one of my worm clamps come apart on me due to a defective weld. To keep the tank strap from sliding up when it's installed dry, I used a hot melt glue gun to melt some of the glue into the inside of the nylon webbing in three or four spots which "grab" onto the tank. Snugging up on the straps after they are wet and have stretched really ensures that they won't slip.

I agree $36 is a bit steep given the materials and labor involved. It's probably close to the industry standard 100% markup, but it's so simple it's hard to justify not DIY'ing it.

----

I have not had problems with good quality hose clamps - but quality does vary with hose clamps and a low quality clamp, or one that it has a worm gear assembly that has been over stressed and/or is just worn out could be problematic.

----

For travel use I like cam bands on my primary SM tanks as well as on stages. The smaller Dive Rite cam straps work well on stages and are fairly light weight, as well as fairly low profile and no tools are required to assemble them at your destination.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom