Bungee Hand-Mirror

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pinecube

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've made a couple of these now. It is a very simple thing to make and I love diving with it. Personally I use it to check on my buddy without having to crane my neck or spin around, but it has also worked well when ascending in areas where others may be descending at the same time. Perhaps most importantly, you can use it to make sure you look perfect for that gopro video :dramaqueen:!

This isn't complicated to make since all it is, is a truck mirror and a bungee.
You'll have to peel off the double-sided tape on the back of the mirror. The actual mirror part can be popped out of the plastic. Once that's done it's just a matter of hole-punching or drilling holes in the plastic and running a bungee through it.

There are a few things I've learned between making my first pair and my latest pair:
- Size the length of the bungee wearing your thickest glove. It is very important that the bungee is not tight. If it is, it will constantly be pulling back on your hand and will quickly cause your hand to get sore.
- After putting it on and taking it off a number of times I found that as the bungee stretches, it rubs against the back of the 'mirror' which wears away the reflective part. To help stop this I've cut a circle from a thin sheet of plastic and put over top of the bungee before replacing the mirror.
- The bigger it is the better it is. My first mirror was 25mm/1" diameter. It was great and all, but now I have a 50mm/2" diameter mirror and I find it much easier to see with... No matter how goofy it looks out of the water.

IMG_1920.JPG

IMG_1919.JPG

IMG_1918.JPG

IMG_1917.JPG

A tip from experience... You're going to want to coat the back side of the acrylic mirror finish with silicone (I use 5200) because saltwater will make quick work of the mirror coating.

Thanks for the heads up! My diving is freshwater and I've never run into that issue before, except for the bungee rubbing against the mirror. Defiantly a good thing to know before heading to a saltwater dive.

Personally I use it to check on my buddy without having to crane my neck or spin around,
I look underneath between my fins to see my buddy behind me. However, mirrors can make for some interesting critter encounters. :D

I look underneath between my legs to see my buddy behind.

However, mirrors can make for some interesting critter encounters. :D

I don't think that means what you think it means!

Great point! I've used my dome port on my camera for looking around and the seals love their reflection it seems too.

Cameron

I've made a couple of these now. It is a very simple thing to make and I love diving with it. Personally I use it to check on my buddy without having to crane my neck or spin around, but it has also worked well when ascending in areas where others may be descending at the same time. Perhaps most importantly, you can use it to make sure you look perfect for that gopro video :dramaqueen:!

This isn't complicated to make since all it is, is a truck mirror and a bungee.
You'll have to peel off the double-sided tape on the back of the mirror. The actual mirror part can be popped out of the plastic. Once that's done it's just a matter of hole-punching or drilling holes in the plastic and running a bungee through it.

There are a few things I've learned between making my first pair and my latest pair:
- Size the length of the bungee wearing your thickest glove. It is very important that the bungee is not tight. If it is, it will constantly be pulling back on your hand and will quickly cause your hand to get sore.
- After putting it on and taking it off a number of times I found that as the bungee stretches, it rubs against the back of the 'mirror' which wears away the reflective part. To help stop this I've cut a circle from a thin sheet of plastic and put over top of the bungee before replacing the mirror.
- The bigger it is the better it is. My first mirror was 25mm/1" diameter. It was great and all, but now I have a 50mm/2" diameter mirror and I find it much easier to see with... No matter how goofy it looks out of the water.

View attachment 413633
View attachment 413634
View attachment 413636
View attachment 413635

Now that it's been a couple of years, how's the life on your DIY mirror? Have you had any kind of changes to your design, or any kind of updates that you'd like to share?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom