Bungee cord to hold second stage around neck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EANx

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I find it very convenient to keep my regulator on a bungy cord around my neck so that the reg is always there when I need it. But how long should the cord be, how thick, and how is it best secured to the regulator?

Use 1/8 inch bungee, available at most sporting goods and marine supply stores. The reg should be close enough that you can get it in your mouth without using your hands. The easiest way to secure it is to tie knots in the ends of the bungee to keep it from slipping through the zip tie you will use around your mouthpiece.

The bungee should be long enough to not interfere with head movement while diving, and short enough to not interfere with your drysuit inflator (assuming you're wearing a drysuit). So the "correct" answer is "it depends".

Another thing to consider is that how it is situated on your chest will differ when diving, as opposed to standing up on dry land. What I recommend to my students is to tightly tie a piece of bungee around the mouthpiece or exhaust port (depends on the second stage you're using) ... if there's a choice, I prefer to use the exhaust port. Use a second piece to make the necklace. Make it longer than you think you will need ... by several inches. Run both ends underneath the piece you've tied to the regulator. Put stop knots at 1-inch intervals in both ends ... I usually like to put three knots on each side.

Get dressed in your exposure gear and adjust the necklace by pulling the knots through the "tight" loop to adjust the necklace where it doesn't interfere with either head motion or your inflator valve.

Go diving. As you're diving, move your head about as you normally would and see how it feels. If there's any restriction, lengthen by pulling one knot (one side only) through the loop. If there's no restriction, shorten by pulling one knot in the other direction.

Experiment until it's at the shortest length for comfort. That will be the correct length for you.

Once back ashore, you can measure the loop and tie it in whatever fashion you have been convinced is "correct" ... there are several camps out there, each convinced that theirs is the "right" method. The salient point is that it must be secured, yet able to break away if for any reason the thing gets caught on something (or someone tries to grab it from you).

I personally don't like the "zip tie around the mouthpiece" method ... in the event of a breakaway, you'll lose the mouthpiece. While you can still breathe the reg that way, why would you want to if there are other alternatives. I find that with a bit of experimentation (given that every reg has a slightly different exhaust port configuration) I can usually figure out a breakaway method without compromising the integrity of the mouthpiece.

Oh ... and FWIW ... 1/8" bungee or surgical tubing works best for me.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
. The salient point is that it must be secured, yet able to break away if for any reason the thing gets caught on something (or someone tries to grab it from you).
I personally don't like the "zip tie around the mouthpiece" method ... in the event of a breakaway, you'll lose the mouthpiece. (Grateful Diver)
I use the zip tie, but don't put knots in the ends of the tubing, That way, if someone does yank at it, the tubing can pull through the zip tie, and the zip tie stays on the reg to continue to secure the mouthpiece.
Now you know the "correct" :D method.

I'd hesitate to attach a bungee semi-permanently with a zip tie.

I'd hesitate to attach anything semi-permanently.

There's been several discussions on this topic before. Try searching on:
"Backup reg - Bungee Necklace"

Also see:
http://www.northeastdir.com/gearpage1.htm

Doc Harry:
I'd hesitate to attach a bungee semi-permanently with a zip tie.

I'd hesitate to attach anything semi-permanently.

There's been several discussions on this topic before. Try searching on:
"Backup reg - Bungee Necklace"

Also see:
http://www.northeastdir.com/gearpage1.htm

Why?

I have mine under the mouthpiece ziptie. In a worse case situation where the mouth piece is ripped off - you can still breath the reg.

EANx:
I find it very convenient to keep my regulator on a bungy cord around my neck so that the reg is always there when I need it. But how long should the cord be, how thick, and how is it best secured to the regulator?

I use 1/8 black bungie. I have a High&Tight, and surgical tubing pulls the hair on my neck. I just got 500 ft for $68 from here (there are lots of places to get it):

Geared to Go
(678) 406-0008
4313 Northeast Expy
Atlanta, GA 30340

Ask for Margie.

I dunno whether that price is good or bad, it was expediant (they happen to be next door to Diver's Supply).

I use it for other rigging, too, and keep a couple pre-mades to give away to interested parties. I use small zip-strips (cable ties) and keep the necklace short enough to shoulder bump.

Make a loop out of the tubing or bungie so that the ends overlap about 1.5-2" and then mark where the ends of the tubing touch the main part on each side. Using waxed twine or even thin nylon string, tie a double constrictor knot around both pieces of tube at the marks on both sides. The regulator can then be pushed into this secondary loop you just made. I can breathe with mine still attached, or with a fairly good tug it comes free. Any design that makes it possible for the mouthpiece to be pulled off is an accident waiting to happen. PM me if you need pics.

Good luck.

This thread needs pics....

I prefer to use 1/8" bungee. Surgical tubing rots after a few months.
For some reason, this forum does not allow images??? Click on the following link.
backup_reg_attach_r.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom