Bunaken, Palau Weh, and Derawan/Sangalaki/Maratua this summer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ffuser1

Registered
Reaction score
I am planning a trip to Indonesia for June/July and I've read a bit about the diving in Manado (Bunaken). It seems like a fantastic place to go, though I also was planning on trekking in Sumatra - so Palau Weh looks like a good option also. If I'm in IIndonesia, would it be better to check out the islands off of Kalimantan?

I was diving for 5 days in Sipidan last summer, and wanted to know how Bunaken, Palau Weh, and Derawan/Sangalaki/Maratua, compare to Sipidan.

As I'd be a solo backpacker, cost is a concern. It seems Derawan/Sangalaki/Maratua seem difficult to get to. Are there only resorts there? Or is it possible to do it cheaply and easily (aside from the Balikpapan>Berau>Derawan journey)? Maybe it'd be easiest to dive Bukanen and Palau Weh?

Thanks

I'm taking a group of 25 to Siladen island (just off Bunaken) June 26-july 6.....We're staying at Siladen Island resor and spa (we hae a pretty special group package)....I know there is a homestay or two on Siladen Island as well as Onong Resort run by Celebes diving....The diving ina nd aroun Siladen is just fantastic....Might bump into you over there?

Berau can also be reached from Tawau>Tarakan>Berau. As for diving in Sipadan and Maratua/Kakaban/Sangalaki/Derawan, I like the diving in the latter more due to the diversity of diving and pelagics. Never been to Pulau Weh (Not Palau Weh) so cannot make a comparison.

I'm over on Pulau Weh at the moment, and the diving's pretty good. Seen frogfish, mimic octopus, various ghost pipefish, flying gurnards, seahorses, ambon scorpionfish, cockatoo waspfish etc. from the shore on the house reef. Bigger stuf out on the boat dives - blacktip reef sharks, eagle rays, and there was a hammerhead spotted last week (not by me tho'). The corals are great - huge pristine sea fans, and the currents can be fun !!!

If you're heading to Sumatera anyway, I'd check it out. It's low-budget friendly too.....

I am looking into Pulau Derawan. I understand that there are a few homestays called Losemen which are good budget options. Lonely Planet recommends Losmen Ilham and Losemen Danakan. I am planning to go in April/May 2010. If you get there first, post a report!

I'm heading out to Pulau Weh next month. Which dive outfit did you go with last year, Rubiah or Lumba2? And did you like them?

I used Lumba Lumba, and some dives were great, others not so much. Sometimes I had great guides who showed us lots of things, but many times there wasn't much pointed out (unfortunate). However, I should mention that it's wonderful diving and oftentimes there was no need to be shown things. I was there in the summer, so the water conditions were turbulent and we were limited to 2 dives/day. Some dives had really rough conditions, but they were fun. Shore dive was really good - many fish you won't see on the reef. I wish I had done another shore dive (unguided, but with a dive partner). I always felt safe.

I am looking into Pulau Derawan. I understand that there are a few homestays called Losemen which are good budget options. Lonely Planet recommends Losmen Ilham and Losemen Danakan. I am planning to go in April/May 2010. If you get there first, post a report!

We sent guests to Derawan Dive Resort and have never sent any guests to both losmens. I have never been there myself either. Just like most budget accommodation around Indonesia that does not have its own web site, it will be easier if you would like to check availability of budget accommodation via phone.

Check this link for general information of the island:
The Island that Time Forgot (East Kalimantan) | The Jakarta Post

Hopefully you find this information helps

Back
Top Bottom