Bunaken & Lembeh Strait

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, I got back from my Tasik Ria/KBR combo stay last Thursday, ending a wonderful first year and first 150 dives.

Diving at Tasik Ria:

From Tasik Ria, it would take about an hour on a fairly comfortable boat to make it to Bunaken. They do 3 dives a day at Bunaken 3 days a week, and 2 dives plus one dive on the house reef 4 days a week. My scheduling was such that I only did 3 dives in Bunaken 1 day, it was 2+the house reef two other days. I additionally did the one day trip out to Bangka (a very long round trip plus a $20 fee), that only included 2 dives. For all days, a night dive is available on the house reef, but it costs an extra $20.

Personally, I thought the diving was good, although not nearly what I expected. I saw only 1 white tip shark (back in a cave no less), and no other big fish. I did see 2 huge sea turtles (over 4' across). But other than that, it was small fish (keep in mind I've been to Palau, that may be skewing my views a bit). I was really expecting to see a few more big fish; however, there were a lot of cool smaller fish to see, and the coral was very nice on a few dives (Celah Celah was my favorite in terms of the wall, Lekuan 1 was the best with the wall plus the turtles). The guides were cool, but my buddy and I were usually going much slower than them so we could investigate the nooks and crannies; I thought the guides took too fast of a pace, and I know for a fact that they were missing things that my buddy and I saw. The guides also had the poor tendency to go real deep looking for stuff, wasting air and building up extra nitrogen consumption (fine for them doing 2 dives a day, not fine for me doing 4 dives a day). The guides are also just that - guides. Get rescue certified if you want to be on the safe side.

As for the house reef, it was an excellent day and night dive. Its actually a muck dive, and there were sufficient critters to make every dive interesting (squid, cuttlefish, lionfish, frog fish, an ornate ghost pipefish, crinoids, crustaceans, ...). There is one problem with it - garbage. I got a shigella infection (i.e. diarhea) - it may have been the food, but I'm guessing it was the polluted water. My buddy also got sick, probably the same thing.

Diving at KBR:

I live in So. Cal., so most of my local dives are basically beach muck dives. The joy of KBR is that there is a ton to see. I loved the diving at KBR. From Tasik Ria, you can spend $20 and do one days worth of diving at KBR. Everyone I talked to who did that said they would consider doing that *every day*. After diving KBR, I agree, I would spend my money to stay there, and maybe look for a way to do a day or two in Bunaken (or better yet, North Sulawesi around Bangka). I didn't dive all the sites, but actually Angels Window had quite a bit of coral on a sort of mini wall. Some of the other sites may similarly be non-muck dives, I'm not sure. I'm not going to bother listing what I saw, just go to my gallery (http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=22298&password=0
). As of right now (6/28/04), it only has my last 3 days of diving, but it will eventually get pics from Tasik Ria.

Tasik Ria hotel:

The rooms were very good, and had air conditioning. They *spayed* for mosquitos on a nightly basis, and I think I only got 1 bite while I was at Tasik Ria. At the end of the jetty, they had the jetty bar where I was able to watch the Lakers get humiliated twice, and others happily watched the euro cup. The dining was basically a buffet, although they could cook special meals. I thought the food was quite good. As for alcohol, I don't drink much while I'm diving so I stay hydrated, bintang beer was good enough for me on the nights where I watched the Lakers. The grounds were clean, the pool was nice. For the money, it was actually an excellent value. They had a very poor internet hookup, maybe that will change in the future.

KBR hotel:

No air conditioning, and I also don't think they sprayed for mosquitos (I got bit constantly). They also lacked a decent internet hookup. There is still a little construction going on, but not so as you notice it unless you looked for it. I guess they still have a spa under construction behind the pool. The rooms are very nice - they just require you to open windows and let the mosquitos in to get sufficient airflow to be comfortable at night (even with the ceiling fans on). Food was cooked to order, and was good enough. My shigella infection had picked up steam by the time I got to KBR, so I didn't really get to enjoy everything they had on the menu (I had to keep it light and easy, I missed one day of diving due to, um, major stomach problems). What I did have was very good. If they would take care of the mosquitos and air conditioning, KBR would be an excellent resort.

And, one last problem:

My laptop fried. The good news in my view is I got word that my first 7 days of photos are recoverable. The bad news is that the laptop fried in the first place. The problem came up in the otherwise excellent KBR camera room. I'd recommend bringing a surge protector to plug in any equipment (although I'm not positive my problem is related to a power surge, that's just what I suspect).

As for eco-divers:

Eco-diver's management at both Tasik Ria and KBR seem to be concerned with preserving their respective diving environments. The problem is that they are not out on every dive watching the guides. On one dive, one of the boats decided to re-anchor. The problem was they did this about 15' from my buddies head - they should have seen the bubbles! Additionally, they threw the anchor down into one of the very few patches of coral at that particular KBR site. My buddy also took a picture of one of the guides (with "eco-diver" running down his suit) halfway out of the water by standing on a piece of coral. In all cases, they were constantly using their tank bangers to sift through coral, anemones, sand, etc. If you bring it to the attention of the management, they'll look into it, but my guess is the guides haven't fully gotten the "eco" concept just yet. I'll give 'em some credit, other dive groups came through a couple of times, and their dive guides were just like the eco-diver dive guides. They are good at finding stuff, but, as noted earlier, I'd watch your computer and make sure you stick with a profile that is appropriate to YOUR diving day, not THEIRS (usually 4 dives versus their 2 in my case).

TheNitroxinator:
So, I got back from my Tasik Ria/KBR combo stay last Thursday, ending a wonderful first year and first 150 dives.

I left KBR on 7th june did you arrive then ?

In think you comments about the guides are fair however it must be said an improvement over last year, where i didnt realise what had happended until the guy filled the hole back in he had just dug to find the harlequin shrimps :06:

I understand they are planninng to run trips out to bangka from KBR so that would give a nice balance of reef and muck based out of KBR.

As for your stomach i think that is likely food or drinking water (posibly in ice) somewhere down the line, no matter how careful you cant escape some troubles in indonesia.

I didnt find the lack of air con too bad there it is quite cool in the rooms but the mozzy's need looking into, would not be too much effort to 'fog' the resort once a week

Wow.... cool! Thanks for reporting back. I'll do the same after we return in December. I'll also have info on the Temu Kira out of Sorong to report on. Your info is very helpful. I'll take an extra bottle of repellent.

Sandra

I left KBR on 7th june did you arrive then ?

Actually, I got there on the 17th. Some of the other guests probably overlapped us. Did you see the one guys camera with the "endoscope" on it (I took a picture of it, I'm not sure what it was exactly). If it was an endoscope, I don't want to know what he was taking pictures of.

Your info is very helpful. I'll take an extra bottle of repellent.

I ran out of repellent, so an extra bottle or two is probably an excellent idea. The biggest issue was that the mosquitos were in the dining hall as well as the rooms. Since scuba diving would tend to was off the repellent, I got most of my bites in the dining room, not the cabin. If you have a ton of repellent, you may want to consider putting it on every time you come out of the water.

Yes agree about the dining hall, wear long sleeves as well etc if you can and take some mozzy coils down to the dining room with you

Didnt see the endoscope, actually the bunch that truned up semed a bit rude to be honest and we gave up trying to mix as we were only there a day and half with them.

We averaged 72 minutes per dive that trip at the end the we were doing 80+ minutes, becusse it was reasoanbly shallow and lots to see. Bearing in mind the water temp was 26-27 DegC we all brought 3mm suits. This large group from US who turned up (possibly endoscope man) that were there for the week, and there was one brit who arrived who was doing just a day or two diving before going off on LOB. He was doing around 60 minutes but have to say your american cousins were only getting 40minutes (one guy got less) so because they had ran out of air so fast they were banging on the hull of the boat to make him come up. I dont know what people were doing to go through their air so fast. Could be the fact some hadnt done much research and were diving in Lycra suits, doh. Also listening to their post dive chat they seemed to be diving with their eyes closed.

Next we asked one person "how was your dive, good?" Reply "no" with no further explanation. We got similar responces from a couple more like that so gave up further interaction.

scorpiofish,

We are getting ready to go to MUREX for a combination shore/LOB trip in a couple of weeks. Not too concerned about the accommodations but was wondering how the food was? We don't have any special dietary needs and liked the Indonesian food we had while on Sangalaki 2 years ago.

14 Jul - Arrive MUREX Resort. Remain Over Night (RON)
15 Jul - MUREX Resort (RON)
16 Jul - MUREX Resort (RON)
17 Jul - embark MUREX liveaboard (M/V Serenade)
18 Jul - MUREX liveaboard
19 Jul - MUREX liveaboard
20 Jul - MUREX liveaboard
21 Jul - MUREX liveaboard
22 Jul - MUREX liveaboard/disembark Bangka Island (RON)
23 Jul - Bangka Island (RON)
24 Jul - Depart Manado

Thanks,
Rickg

We averaged 72 minutes per dive that trip at the end the we were doing 80+ minutes, becusse it was reasoanbly shallow and lots to see.

That's about what I was getting. A long of 79 minutes, with most around 70. Temps were 80-84 F, except the house reef which I got a reading of 74 one day, but was mostly around 79. I had 3mm and felt fine on all of the dives except the one where I started running a fever. Depths were pretty much 60 feet and up, with a few jaunts a little deeper for short periods. I did have a little bit of an air issue on my first dive, but that was because I was still getting used to my camera setup - I wasted a lot of air on the BCD the first dive. Even so, that was still a 63 minute dive.

but have to say your american cousins were only getting 40minutes (one guy got less) so because they had ran out of air so fast they were banging on the hull of the boat to make him come up. I dont know what people were doing to go through their air so fast. Could be the fact some hadnt done much research and were diving in Lycra suits, doh. Also listening to their post dive chat they seemed to be diving with their eyes closed. Next we asked one person "how was your dive, good?" Reply "no" with no further explanation. We got similar responces from a couple more like that so gave up further interaction.

They were probably just inexperienced divers. That might also explain why they seemed to be diving with their eyes closed. Some of the divers at Tasik were very inexperienced (didn't even know how to read their computers properly). One lady got a mask squeeze that caused injuries - even accounting for the down current, that's pretty easy to remedy. In my opinion, Bunaken and KBR are not for beginners; the currents in Bunaken could be a problem, and at KBR, its is very easy to kick up sand, and consequently ruin your viz.

I think some Americans are a bit stand-offish. The ones who were there when I was there were on business (albeit pleasureful business), so I think they were sticking to themselves because of that. They were friendly enough, just didn't interact very much. I am glad one of them (Teri, if you met her) had some Cipro (antibiotics) and let me have a couple of days worth, otherwise my KBR stay would probably have been a very poor one.

Thank you for everybody's info. I am getting excited about my trip next mth already.

Anyone stayed with Murex in Manado? Any comment? Tasik Ria is fully booked for the period already.

Hi there! Have anyone dive with Bastianos in Bunaken? Planning to go Manado end of Sept and is hesitating whether to dive with Bastianos or Tasik Ria?

Back
Top Bottom