Building diving experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaverickDiver94

Registered
Reaction score
I received my Open Water a few weeks ago and planning to start my Advanced Open water this weekend.
Ive heard it a lot and Im always looking forward to get some dives in (preferably every 1-2 weekends).
However, and excuse me for asking, how should I go about that especially if Im new to the area? How did you go about getting some diving experience?

So far it seems like the only dives Im able to get is if I pay an instructor to go with me once a month -or- call a shop and tell them Id like a refresher course. I know this may seem like an odd question but Im assuming Im not supposed to go to a beach or docks holding up a sign that says "Looking for an experienced dive buddy, who wants to go diving?" lol

Hi @MaverickDiver94

Where are you in Florida, where do you want to dive?

One thing you can do is dive with an operator who puts a guide in the water. You may also have a buddy but you can stay with and ascend with the guide. Three operators who do this are Jupiter Dive Center in Jupiter and Walker's Charters and Narcosis in Riviera Beach/West Palm. You could always rent a private guide for the first time to make sure you are comfortable with the procedure and your diving. There are other operators in Jupiter and West Palms that also put in a guide, others can tell you about them.

Make sure you are nitrox certified as part of your post OW training. Most of the diving in Jupiter and some of the diving in West Palm is deep enough that you would be limited by NDL if diving air and would have to ascend before the guide/group.

There are a few options that won't cost you a dime....
Bookface - check out local dive dive groups. There are often dives going daily especially in dive friendly locations such as Florida
LDS - lots of dive shops hold monthly, if not weekly group dives and you can buddy up with a more advanced diver and not cost anything.
Wait - I've seen this done a few times. Go to a dive spot and wait with your gear set up. Ask divers you see of you can buddy up with them. This doesn't always work but it can open up a few more channels for you.

All of this works best if you have your own gear and can plan to be ready for a dive within 1 days notice.

After getting OW locally, 2+ months later we were snowbirds in Destin on the FL Panhandle. I went to the three dive shops there (only 2 now I think) and asked about charters. They don't go out often in winter, but I did get onto 3 boats in March 2006, the third one as finishing up my AOW (other dives were done in springs). In each case I was buddied up with an "instabuddy". I would have preferred to buddy with someone I knew and who was experienced, but beggars can't be choosers. It worked out well.

However, and excuse me for asking, how should I go about that especially if Im new to the area? How did you go about getting some diving experience?
What’s the area? I know your profile says Florida, but Florida is a big star with a lot of different types of diving.

Generally, though, look for any events/clubs at your local dive shops. That’s a good way to meet local divers.

Lots of dive shops will also organize local trips or group charters. If not, look at charters in the area. Let them know your experience and that you’d need a buddy.

In my area, the most popular charter runs several boats, and does several different types of trips. The larger boat usually takes groups to the artificial reefs in the area, which are in about 50’. Smaller boat generally takes more experienced divers a bit deeper.

Wait - I've seen this done a few times. Go to a dive spot and wait with your gear set up. Ask divers you see of you can buddy up with them. This doesn't always work but it can open up a few more channels for you.
I did this all time and it only failed one time out of many. Got make several friends (buddies) that lasted several years, until I moved or they moved.

You might try posting in the Florida sub forum looking for buddies.

DW

I received my Open Water a few weeks ago and planning to start my Advanced Open water this weekend.
Ive heard it a lot and Im always looking forward to get some dives in (preferably every 1-2 weekends).

So far it seems like the only dives Im able to get is if I pay an instructor to go with me once a month -or- call a shop and tell them Id like a refresher course. I know this may seem like an odd question but Im assuming Im not supposed to go to a beach or docks holding up a sign that says "Looking for an experienced dive buddy, who wants to go diving?" lol
Go to your local dive shop and ask the people hanging out, join local Facebook groups and ask, there are several out there. This is exactly how I built my list of dive buddies. Don’t be shy about going on a dive boat and telling them you need a buddy, the vast majority of people in this sport would be more than happy to buddy up. Just be open about your experience level!

Dive Parks can be a good place to meetup with random divers, and you can just ask strangers if they're willing to buddy or have you tag along. You should ask abut their dive-plan, to ensure it's something within your comfort-zone, experience, and training.

Dive Shop meetups are somewhat the same, often meeting at a dive-park on a given day/time. It's usually a bunch of strangers, and you again can ask to buddy up with someone. Just beware the dive-shop may be trying to sell you stuff, hah!

ScubaBoard - there are sections for each state, including one for Florida.

Facebook - I can't stand FB, but regardless it's a good place to find local groups of divers. Just search your city or a nearby large-city, and scuba.

divebuddy.com - This site may be worth trying, although I've found some of the other options are more active.

Solo-Diving - You're not ready for this at this time, but eventually you can get into self-reliant diving. Generally speaking, lots of redundancy, and stay well within the margin of safety, and of course take an appropriate course.

Shallow-Practice - Even without going full self-reliant, there's also practicing skills or equipment in standing-height water. I recommend a location with a very gentle slope, and not one with stairs, ladders, rocky-shore, etc. Depending on what you're practicing there may be associated risks of course, but usually any time I'm trying out a new piece of equipment, or haven't dove in several months due to winter, I'll do one of these sort of shallow-practice-dives.

I agree with the above. Join a FB group or two for local dive groups. It's a great way to find a dive buddy. Even at the last minute.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom