Buford dam dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divinginn

Contributor
Reaction score
I went out Friday afternoon and got a dive in at Buford dam on the rip rap. The vis varied from decent to snotty down to the thermocline at 40 ft. where it cleared up to about 15 ft. visibility. The only thing I found was a unbrella rig used for striper fishing with about 10-12 jigs on it. When I surfaced a storm had blown in with rain and thunder,I had a very unhappy looking wife waiting in the boat for me,the weather cleared as we were returning to Baldridge marina so we just putted around the lake some.

I did my first ever Lake Lanier dive with an old friend Saturday morning (Lower Bank I think)

My previous diving was all in the Florida keys but the dives were better than I expected. Visibility was about 15' around 40' deep and below. Didnt see a single fish but lots of other uhh trash and stuff. We found an old sign & submerged buoy around 50' that someone from Divers Supply had installed, we cleaned it up for them (no charge!)

Glad I rented a 7mil farmer john, it was about 45degrees around 80'.

Went with a friend who dives there often, will defin have to do it again.

There was an indian family at the bank when we came back from dive #2, they had several small children swimming in the water with no life jackets, and then I saw the story about the little girl that almost drowned, I hope it wasnt her and for whomever it was hope she recovers!

We go to lake allatoona for boating and its a simple rule with my kids, wear your life jacket on the water or stay at home!

I might have to go tomorrow to cocktail cove,need to check the boat out some more and see what kind of treasure I can find.

I am going sometime this week,I brought my pontoon back from Hartwell Friday. I need to pressure wash the toons to get the lake funk off from being in the water all year.

I went out yesterday with a few friends and got in a dive at the dam,the water is starting to warm up and the vis is getting better,up to 15 ft. I had 67 degrees on my computer and we dove to 48 ft for a dive time of 28 minutes. We were going to do a second dive but by the time we cooked some hot dogs it started getting late. The thermocline seemed like it is more mixed up now without the big temperature drop,the thermocline varied at depths from 30 ft. to 45 ft,was comfortable in a 3 mill wetsuit with a light hood. Is diving time right now, the conditions are as good as they get on Lanier right now for the next three months or so.:crafty:

A buddy and I are going to get our Evolution rebreathers wet in Lanier on Friday morning. Tips? I've only ever dove from West Bank Park; where do you go to dive the riprap at the dam? Can it be done from shore?

Welcome, I dive a place that is pretty quiet and easy to get to at Lanier. It's called Two Mile Creek Park. It's located off of Exit 17 at 400 going toward Gainesville just turn right on Browns Bridge Rd. and go until you see Bethel Rd.(about 4-6 miles) and turn right and follow road until it deadends into the park. You will really have many areas of entry into the water and it's more peaceful and scenic than WBP. Less boat traffic also.

A buddy and I are going to get our Evolution rebreathers wet in Lanier on Friday morning. Tips? I've only ever dove from West Bank Park; where do you go to dive the riprap at the dam? Can it be done from shore?

You need a boat to dive the rip rap on the dam,I think you can get in on the east side of the dam,that is where the old river channel runs. I need to explore that area some,there is a old barge sunk in that area somewhere from when they built the dam,I looked for it on the sonar but couldn't find it. I believe it is over by the ranger station.

Back
Top Bottom