budget liveaboards se asia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slimcrappes

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,
I have a trip planned for Feb-Apr to Thailand, Bali, and possibly Malaysian Borneo. I know there are unlimited amazing dive locations, but I've narrowed down my liveaboard destinations to the Similan islands in Thailand and Komodo in Indonesia, leaving from Bali. I am on a decidedly backpacker budget, and I know liveaboard trips are typically pretty pricey. My question is: does anyone have any recommendation for liveaboard operators in these areas that don't charge an arm and a leg? I can live without AC and hot water, fancy food etc. My main focus is to see the most I can without breaking my budget. I have looked at scuba junkie in Borneo and that seems doable to me. Any advice would help. Thanks in advance. I can't wait!

I don't have the info you're looking for, But good luck on your search! I'm interested to hear about your trip. Cheers

Hi there,

There are plenty of liveaboards making four night trips to the Similan Islands and the northern sites that offer excellent value - my first choice would be MV Dolphin Queen.

Felicia would be a great option for Komodo but she does not have available spaces until May 2011.

Which area were you planning to go to first?

I was planning on spending the first month in Thailand and the second month in Bali/Lombok. I'm considering spending a week on Koh Tao in Thailand to "get my feet wet" on the way down to Phuket and the Similans. Any other spots along the way anyone can recommend would be appreciated. I'd like to hole up somewhere cheap with good snorkeling options as well. I dont have the budget to dive every day unfortunately.

For the similans payh NO MORE than 17,000bht for a 4 day trip. They all run scams (charge marine park fees) and have higher prices. best to just show up at Koh Lak and sit there and wait for a last min. there is always room and this is the best way to get a deal. I did about 6 liveaboard trips in the Similans and paid anywhere from 12,000bht to 17,000bht. All were luxury and nice. Try Koh Lak Scuba Adventures or Similan Dive Safaris.

As for Komodo the prices are also super inflated you should pay around $140-180 per person.

Overall The similans are good, but Indo is much better. Most of thailand is fished-out I would avoid Koh Tao as the diving is not very good. If you are on a budget save for Bali. Also you may want to try Pula Weh it is better than anything the similans can offer (other than Mantas) and VERY cheap.

Hope this helps and if you want some unbiased advice PM me.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying because they want to mark them up. All the Liveaboard companies pay HEALTHY commissions to companies (such as Dive the World who posted above). Go to the source.

They all run scams (charge marine park fees) and have higher prices. best to just show up at Koh Lak and sit there and wait for a last min. there is always room and this is the best way to get a deal.

Oh dear, orenbvip, when did Similan National Park fees become a scam? All divers are required to pay these fees (and anybody who enters a National Park in Thailand and most places in the world) when they dive in the Similan and Surin National Parks.

But I must really bow down to your superior bargaining skills if you can get a luxury four night liveaboard trip from between 12,000 THB and 17,000 THB - well done :D I think when you say higher prices....you mean regular advertized prices.

Last minute deals do appear, usually just a few days before the trips depart and can be between 10 - 20% off the trip price (you will still have to pay the NPFs in full :)).

As long as you arrive in Khao Lak during a quiet time for liveaboard bookings you should be able to get nice discounts but if you wish to be sure of your choice of boat and departure you may be disappointed....or you may be sitting in Khoa Lak for a few weeks

Thank you! This is all helpful info. Any good ideas for nice shore snorkeling around any of these places? I expect the Gilis will be nice, but having a hard time finding a good place in Thailand to just chill out and snorkel for a few days/weeks.

Have a look at Phi Phi Island off Phuket for snorkelling and chilling out. There are a few different locations where you can stay and snorkel off the beach and a great variety of spots a long-tail boat ride away such as Hin Klang and arround Phi Phi Ley.

It's not the cheapest place to stay anymore but offers lots to do and nice chill out places on the beach.

Also its easy to get to other locations close by if you want to move around - Railey Beach and Ao Nang as well as Koh Lanta and Koh Jum.

Don't overlook seaworthiness & safety features of the liveaboard. Some may be "budget" for a reason.

i think i paid 17500 baht for the liveaboard mentioned above, it was last minute and we had already done a load of dives with the dive company. i think you would be lucky to get a price like this.. komodo was absolutely amazing miles better than the similans.. i did a liveaboard there for $1500 including the domestic flights the liveaboard was about a week long..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom